Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eiconsulting
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Scatter Graph - arrows not appearing

I see the example with Salesman and YEAR as dimensions and 3 expressions... the two bubbles with values from the two different years are plotted with different colors but I cannot make the arrow appear whatever I do...  ??? Any insight?

Flavio

Federico Sason | Emanuele Briscolini
3 Replies
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I assume you have 2 dimensions in the chart. Once plotted you need to ensure under the 'Presentation' tab you have 'Both Lines and Symbols' selected under 'Representation' and also check the 'Show Arrows' checkbox and ensure that the arrow size is greater than the Line Width.

The Year dimension should also be the first of your 2 dimensions.

All the best,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

eiconsulting
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks, Matt, I checked all your points (in particular the arrow size was not greater than Line w). the dimension YEAR was not the first - I changed. It doesn't work. I also copied the sample exactly like it is and changed only the variable names... it does work with the year as a first dimension and the other way round.

On the other hand I do need a visualization where the bubble has the Salesman name "on top" and the arrow goes from one year to the other.

I have the on the Expression Tab the first two expr with the checkboxes on BAR and SYMBOL and the third on BAR and LINE... but they are greyed and I cannot try to change them.

Flavio

Federico Sason | Emanuele Briscolini
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Flavio,

The Scatter chart is a tricky object at the best of times - you're limited to 3 expressions (X, Y and bubble size) and don't have the control for adding labels as with other charts (as far as I can find out). Selecting 'Labels on DataPoints' will simply show Year and not SalesPerson - the only way to get that is to hover over the data point and ensure you have 'Pop-up Labels' checked.

Without an example file to look at it would be difficult to get to the bottom of it so if you're able to post a sample that would be ideal.

As a possible guide I've attached a sample .qvw with a line / arrow chart I'm working on so you can compare the settings - I can't unfortunately send the data aswell but it may guide you; the result is as below:

Scatter.PNG

For info the above is an Indextualized Explosion Chart to compare performance of Sales & Volume across 2 date periods with the first being indexed to 100 and the line and dot being the relative position of the second period.

Hope that provides some guidance.

All the best,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd