15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 9:38 AM by Peter Rieper RSS

Anyone notice a memory leak in Qlikview 11

Michael Ellerbeck

It appears that after a couple of weeks?? the Qlikview server service stops. If you restart the service everything is good.... for a while

• Anyone notice a memory leak in Qlikview 11
          Stefan Bäckstrand

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by "stops"? What are the symptoms? What does the QVS logs say? What does the Windows event logs say?

Michael Ellerbeck

Hi Stefan, I didn't dive into it too deeply. I was just curious if it had happened to anyone else. It's hard to catch it in the act. This might be it?

The description for Event ID 300 from source QlikViewServer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Restart: Server aborted trying to recover by restart. Reason for restart: Internal inconsistency, type D, detected.

Faulting application name: QVS.exe, version: 11.0.11149.0, time stamp: 0x4ec5045e

Faulting module name: QVS.exe, version: 11.0.11149.0, time stamp: 0x4ec5045e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000c077e6

Faulting process id: 0x19d4

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccca37640cda45

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QVS.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\QVS.exe

Report Id: 41129790-37cd-11e1-94c4-001a6435566e

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: QVS.exe

P2: 11.0.11149.0

P3: 4ec5045e

P4: QVS.exe

P5: 11.0.11149.0

P6: 4ec5045e

P7: c0000005

P8: 0000000000c077e6

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7D89.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7DD8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9235.tmp.mdmp

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER92C2.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_QVS.exe_44d28bc3dc0ac164b44db2591705b46c967f945_cab_627c933b

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: QVS.exe

P2: 11.0.11149.0

P3: 4ec5045e

P4: QVS.exe

P5: 11.0.11149.0

P6: 4ec5045e

P7: c0000005

P8: 0000000000c077e6

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7D89.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7DD8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9235.tmp.mdmp

C:\Users\ITService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER92C2.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_QVS.exe_44d28bc3dc0ac164b44db2591705b46c967f945_cab_627c933b

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Status: 4

Report Status: 4

• Re: Anyone notice a memory leak in Qlikview 11
                  Stefan Bäckstrand

We've seen no clear signs of memory leaks in 11 yet. They are usually by design behavior in the core. Using lots of memory, and caching for future use, is one of the strengths of the QV core.

The internal inconsistencies errors might point to the fact that memory is exhausted. If not, it's classified as a bug. Have any meme statistics in the machine globally during the error? If not, get some for the next round.

Michael Ellerbeck

If memory is exhausted isn't that a memory leak

I don't know how to check if 'any meme statistics in the machine globally during the error?'

Stefan Bäckstrand

No, a "memory leak" is when memory is not returned to the system. Qlikview uses as much memory as possible for a reason, and hence keeps it for future use. Memory pages are then deallocated when qvs needs more within its working set. That does not necessary occur at a timeout, but at demand from the system.

If qvs is not recovering, you have a too high growth, too much objects and/or documents or badly designed documents. "Memory leaks" are rarely found in Qlikview.

Michael Ellerbeck

Ah that makes sense! Thanks. Whats the best way to monitor for this sort of thing

Peter Rieper

Hmm,

noticed very similar. Now after a normal workingday and with no document left in memory, the QVS still keeps 15GB of RAM. Admittingly no memory is needed yet.

Via batches the QVS is restarted daily at midnight.

QVS-version: 11-11154.

++

Peter

Stefan Bäckstrand

Yes, that is probably cached data sets and objects. It is by design. The next time those documents are loaded into memory (opened by clients) the cache will directly attach again, and users will enjoy the seamless experience of lighting fast results coming back, instead of having to wait for the server to re-calculate everything (as would be the result of flushing cache at every document timeout).

Jakob Fabian

It is nice that the users "will enjoy the seamless experience of lighting fast results coming back".

For a developer developing a new QVW on the same server, RAM resources may be to scarce if the QVS has been up and running for some time.

In my case, my QV Desktop Client that I use for my development is significantly impacted after only a few days of the QVS running. Having to use a batch file is ok in my case, but for most of my customers this would be a poor solution.

Regards,

Jakob

Michael Ellerbeck

I'm just taking the hammer approach as well. My users don't care why the server isn't working anymore, so the nightly reboot it is.

Stefan Bäckstrand

Jakob Fabian wrote:

It is nice that the users "will enjoy the seamless experience of lighting fast results coming back".

For a developer developing a new QVW on the same server, RAM resources may be to scarce if the QVS has been up and running for some time.

In my case, my QV Desktop Client that I use for my development is significantly impacted after only a few days of the QVS running. Having to use a batch file is ok in my case, but for most of my customers this would be a poor solution.

Well, that's what happens when you mix server components with developer tools. I'm personally finding it very strange that it's only in a QlikView administrators world that it is fully acceptable to run production like components like large data processing server services on the same machine as developers work with a developer tool much like any other IDE.

Would you have developers use Visual Studio to trial code on your production SQL Servers as well?

Just because you have a large machine, it doesn't mean that you can pack it with different roles. The buffer is there to serve the system, not to be lent to other type of components that don't belong on these machines.

The only advice I have to someone trying to do what you are doing is to restrict the QVS working set limit values (Low and High) to exclude the portion of physical RAM that you think developers will utilize, and hope for the best that they don't exceed it.

Stefan,

In my experience, the reason that development and production roles are both executed on the production server in QlikView shops is that it is hard for IT to justify buying ANOTHER high-grade server with lots of RAM just for development purposes. Specifically, just for QlikView development purposes (can't really be shared). QlikView development is just as RAM hungry as QlikView in production.

I know that this is besides the point of the original post, but I had to answer...

Peter Rieper

In principle share the opinion of Stefan:

There should always be a clear separation of production and development

Most applications were developed and run (with smaller datasets) on my standard-notebook.

The refreshing of the applications (with full dataset) is done on the server - and here Simon has a good point.

Am not sure, whether you actually need such a big machine for development. Looking at the memory-consumption during the refreshing of our applications, we are usually running @2-4 GB RAM consumed. We actually plan to use an older server with 8GB of RAM as production-engine (and might be used for development as well) and to have the "big" machine acting as server only. 

Will revert with our experiences.

++Peter

Gordon Savage

I'm not sure its memory leak but more like memory not being recovered which is a problem I get in v9sr4.

My solution is to set a batch file to restart QVS which is run by Windows Scheduler nightly:

@echo off

net stop "QlikView Server"

ping -n 31 127.0.0.1 > NUL

net start "QlikView Server"

Regards,

Gordon