Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Load from Excel pull from substring

Hi Guys

I am loading an excel spreadsheet and the data is not 100% how I would like it ,

there is a column called Reasons, which may contain

"No receipt","No Authorisation","No Paper","No Ticket"

Or a combination such as

"No receipt,No Paper,No Ticket" , "No Authorisation,No Ticket"

I wish to be able to load the column as normal so as Reasons and have both singular reason and combined as results.

But then another load where the data is split by "," so for the combinations have

"No receipt","No Paper","No Ticket" - it would be the data text to columns function in excel dont know if there is an equivlent in QV

Can anyone advise ?

Thanks

Anne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe the excel function will fill in each substring into a different column, right? If you consider the Excel lines as records and columns as fields, do you really want to create new fields?

I assume that you probably don't want to do that, but I assume that you want to create new records per substring in one field, so you get e.g. in a list box of that field a line per substring.

You could use subfield for that.

If you have loaded your table

INPUT:

LOAD

recno() as RecID,

Reason,

from ExcelTable.xls;

You could do something like:

LOAD RecID,

subfield(Reason, ',') as ReasonSubs

resident INPUT;

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe the excel function will fill in each substring into a different column, right? If you consider the Excel lines as records and columns as fields, do you really want to create new fields?

I assume that you probably don't want to do that, but I assume that you want to create new records per substring in one field, so you get e.g. in a list box of that field a line per substring.

You could use subfield for that.

If you have loaded your table

INPUT:

LOAD

recno() as RecID,

Reason,

from ExcelTable.xls;

You could do something like:

LOAD RecID,

subfield(Reason, ',') as ReasonSubs

resident INPUT;

Hope this helps,