3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 7:13 AM by David Gangarossa RSS

Where can I find information about integrating google maps?

David Fields

Hello all, we're inetrested in using google maps with our Qlikview documents.   However, many clients are cost-sensitive.   Where can I find detailed information about:

• How much it costs to use google maps with Qlikview (or what is the limitation of the free API)
      • ARe there are compelling alternatives to google for mapping with Qlikview?
      • Some kind of development guide to help us know the best ways to do this? 

Please let me know your thoughts!  

Thanks so much!  

• Re: Where can I find information about integrating google maps?
          Kaushik Solanki

Hi David,

Google Map API is freely available, so you dont need to invest anything for that.

There are other map API's which you can use instead of googlemap.

Have a look at the attached documents for more understanding of googlemap in qlikview.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Jérémy George

Google Map API is NOT freely available. Here are the conditions for the free use from the terms of services:

9.    License Requirements.  Google's licenses above are subject to your adherence to the following requirements:

9.1   Free, Public Accessibility to Your Maps API  Implementation.

9.1.1 General Rules.

(a) Free Access (No Fees). Your Maps API Implementation        must be generally accessible        to users without charge and must not require a fee-based        subscription or other fee-based restricted access. This rule        applies to Your Content and any other content in your Maps API        Implementation, whether Your Content or the other content is        in existence now or is added later.

(b) Public Access (No Firewall). Your Maps API implementation        must not (1) operate only behind a firewall; or (2) only on        an internal network (except during the development and        testing phase); or (3) in a closed community (for example,        through invitation-only access).

Using google maps on a QlikView server which is not publicly available is a violation of the google's terms of services. Sure there is not a lot of control from google but you need to know that you could be banned from google services by doing that. If you want to use google maps on a private website or network you have to purchase a premium license, which costs about $10 000 a year.

David Gangarossa

Hi All,

GIS/Maps Analytics in QlikView is a very interesting topic indeed.

However, there are many technical limitations in using Google Maps (GMaps) to display QlikView KPI indicators. First of all, the drill-down, pan and selection capabilities are quite limited. Moreover, you cannot display several indicators at the same time and on the same map (background + foreground indicators), you are also limited to draw bubbles and therefore you cannot display pie/bar charts nor "real" heat maps. Finally, you cannot display QlikView KPIs on specific Sales/Business Areas with GMaps such as the Bricks in the Pharmaceutical sector (Brick = aggregation of zipcodes).

On top of that, there are also a few "commercial" aspects to be considered since many QlikView customers & channel partners use GMaps API "FREE" Key inside their QlikView server or rich client without complying with GMaps license terms...Indeed, for "professional internal use" (intranet, extranet or internet with username/password authentication to QlikView application), you must buy GMaps API "Premier" which costs about 10,000 $ USD per year or 8,500 euros per year + possible extra fees depending upon the total number of daily hits.

A few alternatives exist such as Open Street Map (totally FREE) or other WMS/TMS services. I suggest you to have a look at our new mapping extension for QlikView 11 SR1 namely "GeoQlik v11.6":

http://www.geoqlik.com/en/geoqlik-for-qlikview/geoqlik-v11.html

Please find hereafter a few screenshots of GeoQlik V11.6 using WMS/TMS services to display QlikView KPIs:

geoqlik_v11_demo_1.JPG

geoqlik_v11_demo_2.JPGgeoqlik_v11_demo_3.JPG

geoqlik_v11_full.jpg

Thanks and best regards,

David

@ Business Geografic