8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2016 1:58 AM by vikas mahajan RSS

How does the fieldvalue function work

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Qlikview and was looking for some help using the fieldvalue function.

I am trying to insert text from a specific loaded table cell into a text box on my qlikview document. I have seen examples where the fieldvalue function has been used to accomplish this, however I am not quite sure how to use it. I have created a variable that looks at the required table "=chr(39) & Language & chr(39)" where "Language" is the alias given to the column containing the text. But I don't quite understand how to pull through the desired references/text and I don't understand the element no variable in the fieldvalue function.

I would appreciate any help

Many Thanks

Qlikview newbie

• How does the fieldvalue function work
          Stefan Wühl

You could do it similar to the e.g. finance controlling demo app on the QV demo site:

You need to create a table with your languages (INLINE table for demo, you could also load in form DB or an excel sheet:

LOAD * INLINE [

English, German

Hello, Hallo

This is a test, Dies ist ein Test

];

Then you need to select the language e.g. from a Input box, assigning your Language variable, like you posted above.

Then, for any text element in your charts, you use an expression instead of the literal:

=fieldvalue($(vLanguage),2)

where the 2 indicates the row you want to pick.

Caution: Since fieldvalue will use the index taken from the compressed columns of the internal data model, you need to take care that all column values are unique, but for a translation table, this should be no problem.

Above will return 'This is a test' if Language is English and 'Dies ist ein Test' if Language is German.

Hope this helps,

Stefan