Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

creating a control qvw file for power users.

Hi,

I would like to create a "control" qvw file published on accesspoint and having 3 butons to execute the following tasks:

-Open an external web form (this aspx web form will modify some data in my SQL server database)

-Execute a stored procedure to rebuild the source tables that will loaded in qvw files

-Reload the qvw files concerned by these tables

At the moment, we are using QVS10 without publisher. This "control" file is accessible by the power users identified as such by the DMS authorisation

Do you see any limitation or obstacle to do it?

Thanks for your answer.

Joris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I assume it is MS sql server 2008/2005.

It is possible to execute sql server job externally.

The job would execute the stored procedures and finally reload qvw-s (via batch command).

Limitations:

To start a job at a remote SQL server, the user's machine need to have SQLCMD installed.

SQLCMD is already installed if there is SQL server (2008/2005).

If SQL server is not installed, you need following components

- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Native Client

- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities

Download (for win server 2008):  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16978

example command of starting a job "QVTables" on server "sqlsrv1":

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -S "sqlsrv1" -Q "execute msdb.dbo.sp_start_job @job_name = 'QVTables' "

I guess you could simply assign that command to QV button with "launch" action.

The drawback is that there is no feedback about the progress, success or failure of the job.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I assume it is MS sql server 2008/2005.

It is possible to execute sql server job externally.

The job would execute the stored procedures and finally reload qvw-s (via batch command).

Limitations:

To start a job at a remote SQL server, the user's machine need to have SQLCMD installed.

SQLCMD is already installed if there is SQL server (2008/2005).

If SQL server is not installed, you need following components

- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Native Client

- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities

Download (for win server 2008):  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16978

example command of starting a job "QVTables" on server "sqlsrv1":

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -S "sqlsrv1" -Q "execute msdb.dbo.sp_start_job @job_name = 'QVTables' "

I guess you could simply assign that command to QV button with "launch" action.

The drawback is that there is no feedback about the progress, success or failure of the job.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much Tanel for this precious information! That was the last component of my architecture! Now let's do it!