Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show distinct value in Listbox

Hello everyone,

I want to show in Listbox all the distinct values, for example the year number from a Date column.

So I want to have listbox like:

Not like a list of 10 times 2012 before getting to 2011.

Do you know how to set it up?

Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Listboxes will only show distinct values. If you have multiple entries for 2012, then I suspect that these values are distinct dates formatted to show only the year. So they look like duplicates, but they are actually separate values.

To avoid this, create a Year field for the date you want to select, or use Year(date) as an expression in the list box.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

List box always show only distinct values?

Celambarasan

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

In Load script arrive a new column for year like below

LOAD

Date,

Year(Date) AS Year

FROM DataSource;

Now use Year field in List box.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Listboxes will only show distinct values. If you have multiple entries for 2012, then I suspect that these values are distinct dates formatted to show only the year. So they look like duplicates, but they are actually separate values.

To avoid this, create a Year field for the date you want to select, or use Year(date) as an expression in the list box.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Jonathan and Jagan,

Yes, you're right. They are actually the distinct dates formatted to show only the year.

Your solutions worked. Thanks.

In the meanwhile I found another way to solve it without creating new field.

Add a Listbox with Expression: Trim(Year(Date)). It works the same.

Regards,

Chung

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Creating a New field is best option due to performance reason, if you do not get the Year field everytime the expression gets evaluated and creates the list box.  I suggest you creating the new Year field instead of using the expression.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jogan,

Thanks for your advice. I'm new with Qlikview, so it's useful to know this information.

Anyway, I've found one more disadvantage of the trim(...) solution. I can't create a trigger (for a default value) on that listbox.

Regards,

Chung