Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Detail Drilling from a numeric cell in a pivot table to a detail tab.

A requirement for my application is to able to click on an expression cell in pivot table, and then launch a filter and automatically move to a detail tab.  My users currently employ this feature in excel.

The only method that I think to utilize to accomplish this task is to set up a corresponding set of values within a dimension for the approximated thirty expressions within the pivot table, so that each expression has a related classification or category dimension.   Then I can filter on this dimension and automatically move to a detail tab based upon the filter button or text box actions.

Has anyone else encountered this design issue and if so what was your strategy to resolve this problem?

1 Reply
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

When you click on an expression in a pivot table, all dimension values in the chart that make up that row are selected.  You could use a trigger to fire when a dimension changes, but triggers can get tricky to manage so I'd recommend educating your users instead to click on an expression and then click on the "Detail" tab.  Same effect as in Excel (although with one more click)

Hope this helps,

Jason