Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcandeo
Creator III
Creator III

Qlik View Upgrade from 10 to 11

Hi, I intend to upgrade our server from QV10 to 11 by myself.

The server is a virtual machine, so I´m thinking in copy to a  new virtual machine, change its name and upgrade this new machine. After finish everything just rename this new machine to the old one.

I intend to upgrade Qlik View SAP Conector in the same time.

Questions:

Will I have a licence problem, since I´ll have temporary two servers active?

Do you think this is the best upgrade proposition or do you have another idea to share with me?

Thanks

Robson

7 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi, Robson

You may have a licence problem. You would need to have only one of them active at the same time or you can talk to your representative at QlikTech or a partner and request a test server ( it may have a cost)

I would change your last steps of this procedures. When you rename your server, the services will stop working since they will not find each other. So, after you rename the machine to the final name, you will need to find all the xml files that config the services or just reinstall it. (Unfortunatelly, I don't have a list of the xlm files that need to be adjusted)

Hope it helps,

Erich

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

It would be best to change the server name before you install QlikView. There are too many files that use the server name to try and finf them all to change.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Or
MVP
MVP

I wouldn't say there's "too many" - I found this out the hard way upgrading to QV9, but we eventually got 'em all. I do agree that it isn't recommended, though - it was quite a hassle.

Our current upgrade process (used successfully for QV10 and planned for QV11 assuming SR2 is stable for our deployment) is to run a new server with a new name and use a DNS redirect from the old server's name to the new server's IP (e.g. QVServer redirects to the IP used by NewQVServer). We haven't encountered any problems with this so far, though it has not been thoroughly tested with the AJAX client.

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi, Orsh_

Would you mind sharing the list of XML files that you changed?

Regards,

Erich

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Erich,

If you go that route and have issues Support will not be able to help you if you have any issues.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
rcandeo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

As I have a virtual server, I could make a copy of it, upgrade the actual server and if anything is wrong, restore this flash copy. That seems the easiest way.

What do you think about this? Anyone can give me some hits to do this upgrade, as I never did by myself please?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

All you really need to do is uninstalled version 10 and then install version 11.

BB