Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

DB2 script => loading an joining multiple tables, and handling 'null' vs missing values

Hi,

First, i'd like to thank you for reading my post, and all contributors Qview community wich has already helped me a lot in my guesses about scripting.

Then, to business ...

I'm loading lots  of DB2 tables (among other things) ... And doing so, i got a big problem, that i'll try to explain as :

I got multiple tables, for each type of data i'm willing to use. For instance, 'client' is spread among 4 main tables each containing different items

ie : cl-tab1containing (name, adress, etc.), cl-tab2 (containing mail, telephone), cl-tab3 (containing date of birth, etc.)

I'm loading and chaining them with no problem using the primary keys used by my db2 system... No problem, or so i thought.

=> some clients doesnt have ANY data in one or more category : so, the primary key doesnt exist in this specific table

(ex : no date of birth => client doesn't exist in cl-tab3...)

=> no primary key => no data for these items and to my surprise, 'NO DATA' <> Null.

I can manipulate these items, and for instance count null occurrences, but this wont count 'no data occurence'

Am i doing something wrong ?

I tried lots of scripts, functions, null propagation doesnt allow me to adress this problem.

My last try was to join these tables (two of them, as a test) and no luck... I got 'null' for existing rows with no values, but i got 'nill' for unexisting rows !

Thx in advance.

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I'm still stuck in my evaluation of qlikview.

Any suggestion would be really welcome.

Thank you !

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I'm still searching, so, if you have any idea or suggestion, you'll be very welcome.

Thx in advance.

Rich-HHE
Contributor III
Contributor III

See JOIN types here: http://www.qlikviewaddict.com/2012/03/explaining-joins.html

I will update this post if I find other references but I think you want to LEFT JOIN.

Edit: After reading your post again, I think I misunderstood. Sorry. I'll leave my reply anyway in case it helps someone else.

Not applicable
Author

Thx, it helped !

Your link is really helpfull, and  well written  !

It's not really a fix to my problem though, but i think that it's more an ETL thing that i need, than any Qview loading function.

Best regards !