Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Custom Variables

In the model I've inherited custom variables have been created for "MaxYear" and "MinYear". These are "set" somewhere, but I can't figure out where. I think this is the problem for not displaying the new financial year stuff in my model. Can't get the old QV guy on the phone to explain.

Is there a list of places I can check where he might have been setting MaxYear/MinYear?

8 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

All variables appear, irrespective where they were created, in the Settings menu, Variables Overview. You can add a new variable there or delete it. Note that if you are doing a binary load you are not loading variables, though.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Try checking:

Settings > Document Properties > Triggers > OnOpen, to see if the variables are set there

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I checked and there's no action there to set these variables. Could this be done in script somewhere else?

Not applicable
Author

I found the variable overview and I know you can add/delete them there. My question is, where can I check to see where the previous developer might have SET these variables?

How do I know if I am doing a binary load?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

In case of binary load, the variables must be created in the Variable Overview menu. In case of normal load, the variable could be created in either the Variable Overview manually (so there is no SET nor LET in the script or hidden script) or in the script or hidden script, of course.

If you mean where the values where assigned to the variables, there are several places: script, hidden script, Variable Overview, Triggers in the Settings menu, Document Properties, Triggers (all of those can have an action External, "Set Variable") and in the module editor (Ctrl + M) via macro.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I meant assign Thanks for the suggestions of where to look. I can't find anywhere he assigns it (not even in the variable overview). What's strange is the previous month/financial year works fine. ugh

Not applicable
Author

It would appear (comparing an old copy with the one I have) that the variable assignments was done in the variable overview, but have (for some strange reason) "dissappeared"

I re-assigned what was in the old document and the report appears to be working now.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I am afraid, you CANNOT check AT ALL to see where the previous developer might have SET these variables!

Try this scenario:

1) Add some variable into script, say LET A=100.

2) Run the script (Ctrl+R).

3) Change "LET A=100" statement into "LET B=200" inside your script.

4) Run the script.

And now you can see in menu "Settings" - "Variable Overviw" both of them,

that is A variable and B variable, too. Is it strange? For me it was very strange.

So, QlikView remembers all your SETTINGS/LETTINGS of variables inside your script

althoug you have deleted them inside this script for a long tme ago.

First I was very surprised by this behaviour of QlikView, but when you will realise that you can define variables not only in script but also in some dialogues, then - I think - we cannot classify this behaviour of QlikView like ERROR, but like FEATURE.

Regards,

Mirek