Please go through the following thing which will help you to understand the tool better!
Hope the following things helps...
1. Please refer C:\Program Files\QlikView\Documentation\QlikView Reference.pdf
2. Read all the discussion in QlikCommunity. Which will help alot!
3. Go through Rob Wunderlich cookbook: http://community.qlik.com/thread/29413
4. Go through QlikView help in the application.
5. Refer http://qlikshare.com/
There are some easy places that you can start with Qlik, the learning material qlik provides is a great start. Here are some places I used to get my head around some of Qlik.
This is a great set analysis tool, can be a real time saver!
Here is a complete API list
and here is a list of realy handy shortcuts!
as far as best pracices go I would say best bet is to find example .qvw files that have been posted. These are obviously very basic stuff but once you have the basics the rest is easy .