I've just tried this on a completely different QV desktop - actually its desktop installed in the QV server - win2008R2x64. This was working fine last time I checked.
Anyway, when I load the Postgres accessing model and try the wizard I can see field names in the table.
However, when I choose a model containing MYSQL access I get the following.
I also see this.
Now that I think about it I was also getting QVconnect errors last week on the Win7 desktop, but after reinstall QC and ODBC it hasnt recurred. However I cannot see field names there either just *
Can anyone help me resolve. Thanks.
Thanks for your continued interest. I have asked the MySQL database application developers whether anything may have changed on the read only user access permissions I'm using to access their db. I know the application is being upgraded this week, but AFAIK this should affect any of the user access methods.
However, I have used MySQL workbench with the same password and in that I can see tables, fields just fine. Of course that may not be using ODBC to connect even though I am using the same password for that and in the ODBC DSN setup.
Something is clearly giving the QVConnect indigestion.
The ODBC driver side isnt very exciting. When I first set it up, I just installed the drivers - created the DSN and then QV connected from then on.
I'm not aware of there being other MySQL drivers installed - they are not visible in the create new DSN list at least. I have installed both 32 and 64 bit right now (although last week I didnt - only 64 bit then) and the same issue exhibits with both.
From within ODBC setup in Windows it tests fine, but something is missing in how QVconnect is working with the driver from what I can see.
Also what's interesting is that other QV desktop systems that used to work and havent been touched are experiencing the same issue. i.e. the install and the QV, DSN and ODBC driver is unchanged.
Will keep flogging it because without fixing it I'm not going to be productive in dev because without knowing the field names one doesnt get far in scripting after all and the non-wizard approach is painful when I know there's a more efficient way if only it would just work.
Now going to reboot QV server and see what else I can find. Thanks
If you search the forum for MySQL 5.1, you'll find a number of problems. This recent thread and it's referenced thread sounds similar to your problem.
I've experienced problems with QV and th V5 drivers in the past, and my workaround has been to use the V3 drivers.
Thanks for your input. I think I know what you mean by the link you provided (for some reason when I try go there it tells me I need admin access to see it). Anyway I came across postings from 2009 mentioning something similar in the forums and the workaround was to use the 3.5x drivers. I thought given the time that has elapsed since then that surely such an issue had been fixed in the current GA release of the MySQL ODBC drivers 3 years on and also with 1-2 versions later of QV as well.
Also in my case I know that I'd been developing just fine using the v5 MySQL ODBC drivers for the past 6 months so it was something on the combo of QV, Win7 and the drivers that had gone wrong but where.
Anyway I had tried the v3.5 drivers in my attempts to fix things but for some reason I couldnt get the ODBC admin test authentication to see the server I wanted so I uninstalled it.
One thing I noticed today is it possibly was related to the DSN settings not being picked up by QVconnect because when I go to the Create Select statement wizard now the metadata is populated and when it wasnt working this was blank. Have attached what I see now and is working below.
I'm guessing one of the numerous driver reinstalls eventually did re-register whatever link was missing. I was using the MSI driver and hadnt tried the zip installer yet.
Anyway for me, I realise MySQL ODBC x64 driver 5.2 is a beta but if its working (and seemingly a little faster than I recall the previous version to be) I'm sticking with it so I can get onto more productive things and will only worry about this again if something stops working. I see below v3.51 is mentioned but I only have v5.21 installed so who knows.
Thanks to both you and Miguel for your sterling assistance here.
SQL_SERVER_NAME 192.168.0.16 via TCP/IP
If I look in the folders now I only see one MySQL folder:
C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.2>myodbc-installer -d -l -n "MySQL ODBC 5.2 Driver"
FriendlyName: MySQL ODBC 5.2 Driver
DRIVER : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.2\myodbc5.dll
SETUP : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.2\myodbc5S.dll
Anyway so long as its working again. Thanks. Cheers