5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 10:10 AM by Alan Hendrickx RSS

Fix memory issue - move calcs to script??

Hi All,

I am working on a series of Straight Table charts which contain a number of regular dimensions, calculated dimensions and expressions.

The problem is that I am facing some serious performance issues at the moment where the app grinds to a halt. When I try to add any additional calculations I am getting an 'Out of object memory' message.

I would appreciate some guidance as to how to resolve this. My first thought is that I should move these calculations into the script to improve performance - does this sound sensible?

If this is the way to go, then the next challenge that I face is the fact that the various fields that I need to use are on different tables. As I will need to complete my calculations between the 'Load' and 'From' - how do I efficiently bring in fields from other tables for this purpose?

Is there a better way to handle these calculations other then within Load & From?

Should I be using a Join (and dropping original tables?), Lookup or other? What are the main pros/cons?

Many thanks,

Alan

• Re: Fix memory issue - move calcs to script??
          Daniel Rozental

You shouldnt be doing any calculated dimensions (that's almost never the best solution).

Post your expressions/calculated dimensions.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the advice. Good to know to avoid calculated dimensions in the future!

Excuse my ignorance, but why are they such a bad choice?

As requested, the Expressions are listed below:

count(if(CategoryDesc='Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed', ID, NULL))

sum(if(CategoryDesc='Financial', PercentComp/100, NULL))

count(if(CategoryDesc<>'Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed', ID, NULL))

sum(if(CategoryDesc<>'Financial', PercentComp/100, NULL))

count(if(CategoryDesc='Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed' and PercentComp<>100, 1-(PercentComp/100), NULL))

sum(if(CategoryDesc='Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed' and PercentComp<>100, 1-(PercentCompletion/100), NULL))

count(if(CategoryDesc<>'Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed' and PercentComp<>100, 1-(PercentComp/100), NULL))

** Plus 9 others (not included) with similar configurations **

count(if(CategoryDesc='Financial' and Open_Clos='Closed' and PercentComp=100, sum(FinancialAttained), NULL))

count(isnull(PercentComp))

max(TOTAL <ID> DateOfUpdate)

You will see from the above that the expressions are done in pairings. I am trying to streamline the code to handle both at the same time, so the pariings should look more like this:

if (BenUpdateExists=1

,sum(if(BenefitCategoryDesc='Financial',1,0)
                  ,sum(if(BenefitCategoryDesc='Financial', 1-(PercentCompletion/100), NULL))
              )

**Bonus marks if you can see why this is returning only null results!!

I have removed all but one calculated dimension minor IF statement which does not appear to be causing any issues.

Thanks

Alan

Robert Hutchings

I use then (calculated dimensions) at times. They seem to work fine.