1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 15, 2010 4:58 AM by Hans Peter Debets RSS

How to read data beyond ASCII(0) from ADO/MSDASQL

Hans Peter Debets

Hi,

Hope that someone can help me on this one: I am reading data from a database using either ODBC or OLE DB connection. In the record, I have one field that contains a string of characters, of which some, or all are the ascii 0 character (chr(0)), which is usually the end of string character for this type of connection. Hence, only data up to the ascii 0 character is read, the rest is discarded. Does anybody know how to circumvent this, and load all data from this field, including the ascii 0 characters? All help is welcome!

• How to read data beyond ASCII(0) from ADO/MSDASQL
          Hans Peter Debets

some additional information: the field is defined as a fixed length string (char(320)) database type. as I understood from articles on the net, the ADO/MSDASQL engine normally expects char(0) as the EOS character. However, when copying the table through DTS to a SQL Server 2000 database, ALL data in the field (including the null char) gets copied. So there must be a setting in the driver/receiving engine that capacitates that, I just haven't found it yet.........

Thanks