3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 1:10 PM by Michael Tarallo RSS

Questions about expressor (Versions and mail alert)

Hi,

I've been using the desktop free edition of Expressor and testing it,  I have to share my experience with my co-workers.

Since we use Qlikview a lot, and we see expressor as a helpful tool to manage data before used by QV, we want to know what other characteristics has it in all of its versions (enterprise and standard).

Also I've been investigating about the way that Expressor handle the execution of dataflows, as Qlikview has the option that send an email to the administrator about the reload execution of the aplications showing that shows if there were a problem; I wanna know if Expressor has the same option or it is possible to build this so we can have a mail about the execution of a dataflow.

Please, I would appreciate your replies.

Ma. Jose

• Re: Questions about expressor (Versions and mail alert)
          Michael Tarallo

Hi Maria

Since we use Qlikview a lot, and we see expressor as a helpful tool to manage data before used by QV, we want to know what other characteristics has it in all of its versions (enterprise and standard).

Standard and Enterprise contain:

• a version control repository that allows multiple developers to store and share QlikView Expressor artifacts such as Dataflows, Schemas, Types, Connections, Datascript modules etc. Allowing them to reduce development time by leveraging reusable work components.

• a run-time engine that will allow you to deploy QlikView Expressor Dataflows on a server - such as the QlikView Server / Publisher. These Dataflows can then be scheduled using a Publisher task or 3rd party scheduler in order to prepare data for QlikView.

• QlikViewExpressorConnector - a version of the QlikViewExpressorConnector that will allow server side execution when called from a .QVW. So you can then use publisher with your QVWs that utilize the QlikViewExpressorConnector in the same manner to refresh data like you would with other data sources.

• Licensing is limited to a number or cores

Enterprise

• Has all of the above
          • Includes the Teradata Parallel Transport Operator - used for rapid loading of Teradata
          • Licensed for a higher number of cores

Also I've been investigating about the way that Expressor handle the execution of dataflows, as Qlikview has the option that send an email to the administrator about the reload execution of the aplications showing that shows if there were a problem; I wanna know if Expressor has the same option or it is possible to build this so we can have a mail about the execution of a dataflow.

This can be handled currently with Qlikview Expressor by using its Datascript language and 3rd party mail utilities. As the 2 products become more integrated overtime I would expect to see features such as this becoming a native part of the product.

Regards,

Mike T

Thanks Mike for your reply!

Adding to this, I also want to know which is the difference with the free version of Expressor, for example what capabilities does it have and what are the principal restrictions.

Michael Tarallo

Hello Maria - I think I might have missed this question:

Adding to this, I also want to know which is the difference with the free version of Expressor, for example what capabilities does it have and what are the principal restrictions.

Simply stated - the free Desktop version allows you to create Dataflows that prepare data for QlikView and other data targets such as files, databases, Excel and Salesforce - but you can only run them (the Dataflows)  from the desktop product interactively. There isn't the executable "engine" that can run the Dataflows on a server as there is with the standard and enterprise editions. Also the QlikView Expressor Connector is only limited to using QlikView Desktop if using the connector in QlikView. In other words you would not be able to use a QVW for AccessPoint (QlikView Server) if it sources data using the QlikView Expressor Connector provided from the free Desktop version.

Also the free Desktop product does not come with the version control repository to store QlikView Expressor development artifacts. You would have to use a local or shared file system workspace instead.

Hope this helps

Mike T