4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 11:41 AM by Brandon Apperson RSS

Substring Count returning multiple strings with new Conditional Dimension Functionality

Brandon Apperson

Hello everyone,

So recently I tried migrating from Macros to the new conditional Dimension functionality added in QV 11.  However, I have encountered one small problem that I have been unable to overcome without hardcoding.

This issue is if you have two fields like:

BENEFIT

SPORT_BENEFIT

Then using the conditional dimension it should usually be:

BENEFIT:

substringcount(concat(%Dimension,'|'),'BENEFIT')

SPORT_BENEFIT:

substringcount(concat(%Dimension,'|'),'SPORT_BENEFIT')

However as some of you may have already guessed, when you select SPORT_BENEFIT, you also get BENEFIT, as BENEFIT is a substring of SPORT_BENEFIT.

I have tried to use wildmatch but it fails on more than one selection due to the fact that is an exact string match.

I would think to use regular expressions but currently the sub strings in the field names sometimes fall at the beginning, middle or end of them.

The only solution I came up with thus far is hard coding in for BENEFIT:

=(SubStringCount(Concat(%Dimension, '|'), 'BENEFIT') = 2 and SubStringCount(Concat(%Dimension, '|'), 'SPORT_BENEFIT') = 1) or ((SubStringCount(Concat(%Dimension, '|'), 'BENEFIT') = 1 and SubStringCount(Concat(%Dimension, '|'), 'SPORT_BENEFIT') = 0))

etc... but this is going to be a pain in the future if lets say you wanted to add a SCHOOL_BENEFIT field.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon