Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QMSAPI v10SR5 vs V11SR2 ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement

Using QMSAPI from V10SR5 I built an app that was able to inject a service key using the following in my app.config

<behaviorExtensions>
        <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="TerraTechnology.AnalyticModuleLoader.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, AnalyticModuleLoader"/>
</behaviorExtensions>

Note that the "type=..." is NOTa fully qualified assembly name; it does not have Version=xxx, Culture=xxx, PublicKeyToken=xxx.

It appears that when I use v11SR2 and I try to use the above abbreviated assembly qualifier I get an error:

An exception occurred: An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for system.serviceModel/behaviors: Extension element 'serviceKeyBehavior' cannot be added to this element.  Verify that the extension is registered in the extension collection at system.serviceModel/extensions/behaviorExtensions.

If I use a fully qualified assembly description in the app.config

<behaviorExtensions>
        <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="TerraTechnology.AnalyticModuleLoader.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, AnalyticModuleLoader, Version=4.2.4716.29448, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"/>
</behaviorExtensions>

I do not get an error.

I am wondering if there was a change in the way QMSAPI tries to create an instance of the type specified in the behaviorExtensions between v10 and v11.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Bug in .NET 3.5

The behaviorExtension for QMSAPI serviceKeyBehavior must be be strongly typed, i.e. must contain Version/Culture/PublicKeyToken that exactly match the assembly. No extra spaces allowed. Version etc must be specified.

<behaviorExtensions>
    <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="MyNamespace.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, MyAssembly, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"/>
  </behaviorExtensions>

This causes problems when the version of the assembly is autoincremented during assembly compile/build.

Fixed in .NET 4.0. Version/Culture/PublicKeyToken may be dropped so that the config no longer needs the autoincremented value of the version.

<behaviorExtensions>
    <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="MyNamespace.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, MyAssembly"/>
  </behaviorExtensions>

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Invoke the folloiwng before any QMSAPI calls. It will update the in-memory configuration information to the current assembly version and avoid the exception in this discussion.

public UpdateServeKeyBehaviorType()
{
  Configuration configuration = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationUserLevel.None);
  ServiceModelSectionGroup smGroup = ServiceModelSectionGroup.GetSectionGroup(configuration);
  ExtensionElementCollection extensions = ServiceModelSectionGroup.GetSectionGroup(configuration).Extensions.BehaviorExtensions;
  ExtensionElement behavior = extensions["serviceKeyBehavior"];
  //myNameSpace.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, myAssembly, Version=1.0.4723.26787, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
  string oldType = behavior.Type;
  string newType = oldType.Substring(0, oldType.IndexOf("Version=") + 😎 + AssemblyVersion() + oldType.Substring(oldType.IndexOf(", Culture"));
  behavior.Type = newType;
  configuration.Save();
}

public string AssemblyVersion()
{
  string[] pieces = Assembly.GetEntryAssembly().FullName.Split(new char[] { '=', ',' });
  return (pieces.Count() > 2 ? pieces[2] : string.Empty);
}

Not applicable
Author

Bug in .NET 3.5

The behaviorExtension for QMSAPI serviceKeyBehavior must be be strongly typed, i.e. must contain Version/Culture/PublicKeyToken that exactly match the assembly. No extra spaces allowed. Version etc must be specified.

<behaviorExtensions>
    <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="MyNamespace.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, MyAssembly, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"/>
  </behaviorExtensions>

This causes problems when the version of the assembly is autoincremented during assembly compile/build.

Fixed in .NET 4.0. Version/Culture/PublicKeyToken may be dropped so that the config no longer needs the autoincremented value of the version.

<behaviorExtensions>
    <add name="serviceKeyBehavior" type="MyNamespace.ServiceKeyBehaviorExtensionElement, MyAssembly"/>
  </behaviorExtensions>