6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2016 3:59 PM by Clever Anjos RSS

linest_m trendline correct value?

Filip Larsson

Hi!

I have a chart (below) that shows Revenue over recent Weeks... In my chart I have added the trendline.

chart.JPG

I want to use the calculate the slope and found the linest_m function, my expression is like this: LINEST_M(Revenue, Week)

But the result of my expression showed: -738,47539

Shouldn't the result be a positive value, as the trend is positive? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Filip

• Re: linest_m trendline correct value?
          Stefan Wühl

Yes, you would probably expect a positive value. But it's hard to say what's causing the difference just by looking at the image.

Could you post a small sample app (or the data you are using as Excel or INLINE LOAD table)?

Filip Larsson

This is other numbers, but still the value gets wrong when counting on a conditional trendline... Please see my attached example.

Best,

Filip

Stefan Wühl

Filip,

the value that linest_m returns seems correct to me (you can check this by calculating the slope with Excel, for example).

I think the equation that the linear regression option in chart properties will show is terribly wrong. It seems to me that QV is not taking the different x-step sizes correctly into account when calculating the lienar regression. In fact, if you change the axis to continuous in axes tab,the x-step sizes are shown correct, and the produced linear regression, too.

(Tested in QV 11.20.11643.0 IR)

IMO, you can and should report this as bug to QT support.

Regards,

Stefan

Filip Larsson

OK, I can agree that QV may not calculate properly when there are differences on the x axis.

Please take a look at my attached qv-document. I still can't understand if I am doing something wrong when fetching the Trend Value.

What I want to do is visualize the trend with a text 'Positive'/'Negative'... But I can't find my simple calculations reliable as the value even gets negative with a clear positive trend in the chart.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Filip

Stefan Wühl

Filip,

one big difference between your charts and the linest_m expression is the fact that you aggregate your revenue values in the line chart, but not in the linest_m function (and since your data shows multiple records per week, even for the same flag, that's a big difference).

You can modify your linest_m function to:

=LINEST_M(aggr(sum(Revenue), Week),aggr(Week,Week))

to produce the same result as your chart (considering the additional bug with non continuous x-axis values as discussed before).

See also attached.

Regards,

Stefan

Clever Anjos

I´ve just noticed similar behaviour here.

The "show equation" of feature trendline seems to be buggy

I´ve created a very, very example.

LINEST_M seems to be ok with the plotted equation

LINEST_B is totally different.

I´ve included an expression into the line graph with linest_m and linest_b and the lines are ok (my line and trendline) but the  "b" value for the equation is not ok

295107.png