5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 1:52 PM by Van Huynh RSS

Access Current Dimension/Expression Name within Formula?

Steven Bain

Hiya Guys,

I have created a formula which, given the name of a Dimension (for example) returns whether or not the Dimension exists in the currently selected criteria:

fnIncludeDim: If (GetSelectedCount(_Dims)>0, SubStringCount(uvDimensions, $1 & ';'), 0)

My initial idea was to include this formula (parameterised variable) under each Dimension's "Enable Conditional" field:

=$(fnIncludeDim('TimelineDate'))

This works great - and basically allows me to create a dynamic Straight Table based on which Dimensions the User has selected from a List Box.

However, with many Dimensions (and with a view to making my Dashboard as "generic" as possible so I can reuse it with other datasets) - my question is:

Is there any way to reference the name of the current Dimension from within a formula?

For example, the above "Enable Conditional" formula would become something like (pseudocode!):

=$(fnIncludeDim($CurrentDimensionName))

This way I would be able to use the same formula (variable) for each Dimension, and the "Dimension Name" parameter would be automatically calculated for each Dimension and passed without having to hard-code it for each field.

Hopefully my question makes sense... I realise the answer is probably "No" - but I thought I'd ask you lovely people in case any of you have any ideas  :-)

Cheers,

Steve.