Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Search a string to pull out data.

I am importing a string from an excel file and i need to clean up one of the colums and make it two columns.

The first thing i need to do was get rid of the first two charcaters whihc was no big deal.

The next part is where i am having the issue i am trying to pull out a chunk of the string to create another field.

My issue is the chunk of data for 90% of the records is the last 10 bytes of the string so thats pretty simply but for the other 10% of the records the chunk is in the first 9 bytes of the string.

ZZXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX 9999999999

ZZ999999999XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

So to get rid of the first two bytes i just did this which worked fine to get rid of the two bytes i dont want.

right(trim(@2),len(trim(@2))-2) as String1

but to pull out the data for the new field I was simply doing a right function but i need to to pull either the right most 10 characters or the left most 9 characters depending on where the number happens to be and how long it is

right(trim(@2),10) as String2

3 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

If the required data is only number then you can try this.

Keepchar(Field,'1234567890') as New_Field.

This will remove every other character then numbers.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

I wish I was that lucky the field has product descriptions in it along with which has things like size and pack size.

Not applicable
Author

This is kind of what i came up with to do what i was looking for.

IF (isnum(left(PURGECHAR(PurgeChar(@2,'"'),'ÿ+'),11)),left(PURGECHAR(PurgeChar(@2,'"'),'ÿ+'),11),RIGHT(PURGECHAR(PurgeChar(@2,'"'),'ÿ+'),10) )