Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help with QlikView Security (several toolbar icons greyed out)

I am working on a project for our local Fire and Police department. I work for the IT department, and was initially assigned to be the QlikView administrator. At a internal IT dept meeting recently, it was decided that I shouldn't need server rights to do my development work (I haD developed some QVD generator processes which will feed a dashboard for each of our user depts.) They say I can access the management console through a URL in a browser, and with enough file share and folder security, I should be able to do my job without remoting into the server. At least, they wanted to test and see what would happen without server rights.

I had been remoting into the server and using the QlikView product there and building my script and testing it. Now with server rights taken away, when I use my desktop version to access my QVD generator documents (Open in Server...), the edit script and reload icons are greyed out, so I cannot do my work. Are there options in the QMC that can re-enable those icons.

Anybody out there having to do QlikView server development and administration, but doing so without actual login server rights.

Thanks.

David

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi David,

When doing "Open in Server" you initiate a client/server connection under which you will not be allowed to edit the script or trigger reloads from the toolbar.

Since you say you have folder and file access to the shared area of the server where the actual .qvw file resides you should open the .qvw file straight in QlikView instead of doing Open in Server and you should be able to reload and edit the script again.

Not applicable
Author

Peter,

Thank you so much for the response. I should have said that our network group is in the process of setting up the file shares, so once that is done, I will try it again, and like you said, I am hoping the edit script/reload functionality will be working again.

David

Not applicable
Author

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 8:45 AM

To: Zimmerman, David

Subject: RE: - Re: Help with QlikView Security (several toolbar icons greyed out)

My file shares have been created, and you are correct, if I use the regular open menu choice, and point QlikView to the correct folder, I can continue with script editing and reload .

Thanks again.

David

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 8:33 AM

To: 'jive-2051514561-2erm-2-76dx@community.qlik.com'

Subject: RE: - Re: Help with QlikView Security (several toolbar icons greyed out)

Peter,

Thank you so much for the response. I should have said that our network group is in the process of setting up the file shares, so once that is done, I will try it again, and like you said, I am hoping the edit script/reload functionality will be working again.

David

Not applicable
Author

One more question. When I am doing reload now under the file share (
servername\folderpath\<file:///
servername\folderpath\>) setup, I assume that I am using my own machine’s memory and not the server memory, correct? Under the previous way, we would remote into the server, and use the QlikView Desktop tool installed on it, and therefore, would be using the server memory and processor (128 GB and 24 processors).

If that is true, we will have to discuss with our manager the impact that could have with testing efficiency. The amount of data we would be loading may not be able to be tested with our desktop machines.