3 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 1:11 PM by marco.nicola RSS

Sub-Selections

Hi,

I have two different tables to load into QV. The first table contains two rows: "item_id" and "item_name". The second table contains the associations: "item_id" and "item_property". Obviously each single (unique) "item_id" can be associated to more than one property.

Once I loaded these tables (simple CSV load statement), I create a Table Box with "item_id" and "item_name", then I create a Stright Table Chart with one dimension "item_property" and one expression "count(item_id)".

With this little configuration I can see the list of unique item-properties separated from the id&descriptions table.

When I click on a property row, I only see the selected property; of course the description list is updated with the id&descriptions related to the selected property.

Here is my question. How can I see the list of all others properties only related to the items indirectly selected? I call this feature "sub-selections"; a kind of "infinite drill-down".

I tried to emulate this capability with a simple macro:

ActiveDocument.Fields("item_id").SelectPossible

ActiveDocument.Fields("item_property").Clear

Doing this, the property table display the new list of properties related to the previous selection. If I select a property and run the macro (e.g. with a button) cyclically, the exploration capability becomes really deep. The problem is that in this way I lose the real properties selections; instead, each time the macro runs, only the quantity of selected IDs is visible in the Current Selections box.

Are these "sub-selections" possible, with or without scripting?

Please, don't attach QV files, because I'm using still evaluating the software with the personal edition.

Thanks in advance,

Marco

• Re: Sub-Selections
          Gysbert Wassenaar

Something like this maybe:

count({<item_property=,item_id=p({<item_propery={'$(=only(item_property))'}>}item_id) >} item_id)

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, your suggestion is about the expression, that's just a statistical data example in my scenario; my question is about how to show a complete list of sub-items properties, once a first property is selected.

Hi,

I tried some alternatives and re-thinked about your solution.

The basic idea is actually good; the unique issue is that I can only choose one property at a time; instead I'm interested in a more deep analysis method, capable of keeping trace of all the elements I'm selecting during my navigation (I would like to see all my "progressive" selections in the "Current Selections" box).

Thanks,

Marco