Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zagzebski
Creator
Creator

Calculated dimension using "ABOVE" function

I have the following calc dimension:

=if(above([Incurred_Year_Month_Num])+1=[Incurred_Year_Month_Num] and above([MEMBER_ID])=[MEMBER_ID],above([Plan Rollup]),'NA')

Basically I am just trying to add a calculated dimension "Plan Rollup" by comparing the record above in a straight table. It is coming back as an error but I don't see what is wrong?

4 Replies
eddysanchez
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Try this:

=aggr(if(above([Incurred_Year_Month_Num])+1=[Incurred_Year_Month_Num] and above([MEMBER_ID])=[MEMBER_ID],above([Plan Rollup]),'NA'),[Incurred_Year_Month_Num])

If this doesn't solve, send more information why you want this straight table, what are your expressions?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm doubtful you could use above() in a calculated dimension. A calculated dimension builds the rows of a chart. above() considers the rows of a chart. So you have a circular logic problem.

Can you describe your objective and maybe we have other suggestions?

-Rob

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Rob - your answer is helpful. A good way to look at it.

What I am trying to do is basically bring the previous dimension to the same line as the current dimension.

For instance when  we renew a contract for a client there is a specific attribute about the contract we want in our table. However we also want to know what that attribute was in the previous month (before the renewal month) and have it on the same row. I wrongly thought I could use above to get the attribute from the previous month.  Does that make sense what we are trying to accomplish?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using an expression instead of a calculated dimension. If you are using multiple dimensions, take care of the so called column segments when using above (please check the section chart inter record functions in the HELP).

If you could post a small sample qvw,  I think this would be a great help for us in helping you.