5 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 5:09 AM by Friedrich Hofmann RSS

OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...

Friedrich Hofmann

I'm again facing the insurmountable difficulty that conditionalizing the display of worksheets JUST DOES NOT WORK - it's supposedly so simple: I enter the sheet_properties, type a condition for display (depending on a variable) and that variable is set to "show" when the user clicks a button on another sheet. Simultaneously a sheet, say, sheet_A is activated - and upon leaving it, the variable is reset to "no show".

So far so easy - it just doesn't work.

Possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't actually think so - an external consultant saw the problem already and ended up just shrugging his shoulders - if anyone can think of something I could try, I'm thankful for any help!

Very frustrated regards,

DataNibbler

• Re: OMG - QV is driving me crazy - or rather, this QV-installation is...
          Mark Sheraton

Can you upload the .qvw and more importantly go and chill for a bit.  Sometimes the besy way to solve a problem is walk away from it

Stefan Wühl

I assume you are not setting the variable to "show" and "no show", right? But to a boolean or 1 and 0?

Without telling us any details about your implementation (i.e. expressions used etc.) it's really, really hard to help you.

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi,

thanks for helping!

@ msheraton

You're right, I was in a really bad mood yesterday. It's very stressful when such small things just don't work... No, unfortunately I cannot upload the qvw - it's a complete management document with tons of info in it, most of it sensitive I'm afraid. I had a hard time yesterday removing the actions laid down with every sheet - making a selection, usually for TODAY() upon opening the sheet and clearing it upon leaving. I tried using set_analysis to make the display on the dashboard_sheet independent of selections - usually, the display works only when selecting a specific day, TODAY() or (TODAY()-1) - but that didn't work out, so I stuck to making a selection.

That's  another problem I'm having with that sheet - but the most prominent one is clearly the conditional display of the remaining sheets.

@ swuehl

I am currently setting the variable to 'Y' or 'N'. I can try with 1 and 0, do you think that would make a difference? Let's see... that also makes it a bit simpler, I can just lay down a trigger to multiply the value of the variable with (-1).

P.S.: No, unfortunately it didn't work that way, either. I tried creating a new document - there it works. But that means tons of work copying all the diagrams and making sure they work as expected - and I don't know how long it will work...

Could that have sth to do with the fact that my QV version displays "Test version" at the top of the screen? I have no idea what I have here. Maybe deinstalling it all and re-installing would be a good idea?

Dave Riley

Hi DataNibbler,

Is "Test version" set under Document Properties > General > Title? I wouldn't have thought you need to re-install if the logic works in a new document using the same installation.

A couple of thoughts ... do you have a -prj folder for this document?  I have seen strange behaviour when these exist. Another area to check is your triggers - could a variable trigger be overriding the value? Maybe set up a text box on the tab with the button and copy the expression into it to ensure it does evaluate as you wish.

flipside

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi flipside,

no, it is not in the document - it is in the software - at the very top of the screen, it reads like "QlikView - Testversion - [file_path]"

However, that does not seem to be the problem - on a colleague's machine which does not display this, it didn't work, either.

There is no prj folder - I don't even know what they are for... I can't imagine a variable trigger as I've created a new variable for the purpose, but I'll check.

Now I've taken a completely new copy and just copied the objects I already had, redone the variable (numeric) - now it works. The frustrating thing is, I don't know why, so I cannot be sure whether and how long it's going to remain so.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler