2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2013 6:19 PM by Ali Gracie RSS

Is there a way to exclude items selected from a listbox?

Listboxes are used to select data. Is there a way to do the opposite: to exclude anything selected from a listbox?

Let's say there's a table containing student IDs and names.

Student:

ID   Name

1    John

2    Beth

3    Zack

There's another table that links each student to the classes they're taking.

Courses:

Student ID   Course ID

1                 Math101

1                 Eng101

1                 Art232

2                 Math101

3                 Chem101

3                 Science283

3                 Math101

Based on this example, John is taking three classes, Beth is taking one and Zack is taking three.

I wish to have listbox#1 for CourseID which would just show all the courses being taken by students.

The problem is I wish to have listbox#2 showing courseID, but exclude anything selected from listbox#2 from the current selection.

That means if I select Math 101 from listbox #1, my selection should include all 3 students.
      But if I select Art232 and Chem101 from listbox#2, I want my current selection to exclude John and Zack.

This would help in finding this: "Show me students that are currently taking Math 101, who are not taking either one of Art232 or Chem 101."

I want the user to be able to first choose Math101, and also have the option to choose Art232 and Chem101 from a separate listbox so they can get excluded.

Is there a way to do this?

Perhaps even by using some expressions in charts so that it'll exclude students who are taking courses selected from the 'exclude' list?

Maybe by set analysis?

I find the challenge in the multi-link relationship between student and courses.