Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Access rights and Root_folder combination?

Hi,

we are currently facing the issue of setting up the users'  access rights so that everyone can access the QlikView apps:

- The apps are on a Server that not everyone has access to.

- Most people are accessing the apps via the IE plugin.

- Currently, the root_folder (QV mgmt console) is set to E\QV_syncreon.

- The users currently have access rights on E\QV_syncreon\production.

- The actual apps are in a subfolder to that labeled "03_applications" (that is, E\QV_syncreon\production\03_application)

- Linked to the apps are some Excel files and a Word documentation in a directory "99_resources" (E\QV_syncreon\production\99_resources)

- We have tried setting the root_folder to "E\QV_syncreon\production" only (that way, a Backup_folder with a heap of old data would be out of focus, making it look a lot less messy), but then an app that is actually in a subfolder to that failed, so we reset that.

Another thing we are a bit puzzled about is that "Mounted folder" stuff. As best we understand it from some posts here on the Community, the "Mounted folders" can be one or several subfolders to the root_folder and by default (if not specified at all), they are identical to the root_folder. Is that right?

Currently, we have the phenomenon that QlikView, when accessed via the Browser, cannot open the Excel or Word files linked to the apps. Something must be wrong about the access rights for QlikView says "Cannot find ..." - although the Word_docu is in a subfolder to that which the users have access rights to...

Can someone give me a hint as to what we should do so QlikView will display those Word- and Excel files, but the QlikView_homepage won't display all those backed-up versions of our QlikView apps?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

First, mounted folders should not be in the same folder as the root, otherwise, you will see every document twice or more times (one for the root, one for the mounted, etc). Mounted folders make actually sense when the QVW files for the users are in different folders, and not all in the same (even in subfolders of the former). In this sense, for QlikView all subfolders are transparent, it runs the folder and all its subfolders, and retrieves the QVW files within them.

Second, QlikView AccessPoint will only show QVW files and not any other file type, either it is recognized by the OS or not, QVD, XLS, XLSX, even HTM or HTML, etc.

Hope this makes some sense.

Miguel

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

sure, it does make sense.

So, our mounted_folder could actually be only "03_applications" for all the QlikView apps that the users need to see are there - there are some more, but only the superusers need to see those. Right?

That the files cannot be displayed in the Browser is a pity. The Word documentation might not be necessary for the users, that's more for developers and us superusers - but the Excel files should be accessible to the teams.

IE can open Excel files, but I guess that's different. Well, we'll have to think of a solution to this. In the worst case, I'll have to load those Excel files into QlikView and display them as a table diagram...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I just tried copying the Excel files to a different location that I know that team machine has access to and - it worked. There must have been a misunderstanding. Maybe you were telling me that under the assumption that we use the Publisher which we don't. We have just a number of apps.

I guess this is solved then.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Miguel,

sorry - can you help me once more? We now have the following scenario:

- The root_folder (mgmt_console) is still "E/QV_syncreon", same as it was. It seems something prevents us from narrowing that down.

- The "mounted folder" is now "E/QV_syncreon/production", which should, if I understood you correctly, limit the nr. of files displayed in the Browser and filter out a Backup folder with a lot of outdated backup copies (which is under "E/QV_syncreon", but on the same level as "E/QV_syncreon/production". So, instead of seeing about 40 versions of one document in the Browser, there should be only one.
<=> Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. The access_point still looks a bit messy.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler