13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 8:04 AM by Friedrich Hofmann RSS

Abusing QlikView to historize a database table

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi,

I am facing a challenge very similar to one I have already solved:

- A new plant has just taken up production a short while ago.

- I have to build a history of one database table, just like I did in this plant, because in the database it has no history.

- To do that, I have a LOAD statement with just two fields:

- The current date

- A count of item_numbers with several WHERE clauses.

- The result of this LOAD would then be stored as a qvd file.

<=> With all the WHERE clauses in place, this load returns 0 records instead of returning the number 0 when no item_numbers were found matching the WHERE clauses. I have already tried avoiding this by way of an IF() fct, but so far it doesn't work.

Can anybody help me here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

• Re: Abusing QlikView to historize a database table
          mayilvahanan ramasamy

HI

Can you post a script here..

Its useful for analysis the cause of issues.

Ralf Becher

Hi Friedrich,

could you post a script example. If you make a group by current date the count should have at least one record.

- Ralf

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi,

I learnt it has nothing to do with my script - the error lies elsewhere.

That makes it rather more difficult, but we'll find out eventually.

In case that should solve the issue, I'll close this thread.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi,

it is very strange:

For some reason - although as far as we can look, everything seems to be equal in the two plants - the date_field must be somehow different in the new database. The calculated ACTIVATION_DATE_DIFF, which in the old app looked like a time (HH:MM:SS), but without any suffix, in the new app is interpreted as a time (with 'AM' and 'PM' and thus cannot be used in the way I was planning to - in the old app, there is a

>> WHERE ACTIVATION_DATE_DIFF > 5  <<

to return all the items that have been in this place for more than five days. This won't work in the new one.

The strange thing is, I can add both fields as listboxes to the GUI in the new app and there are values, only the ACTIVATION_DATE_DIFF field is a time with 'AM' and 'PM'.

Could you lend me a hand here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Ralf Becher

This doesn't makes much sense. If ACTIVATION_DATE_DIFF is a time formatted with HH:MM:SS how can it be interpret as an amount of days to be compared > 5?

However, I still cannot recognize (without any script or explanation) if it's a Where against a database or QVD load.

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Ralf,

the WHERE clause is only in a RESIDENT LOAD based on a qvd load.

I have the same thing for the old plant and it works fine - the INTERVAL() fct returns both a STRING and a numeric value. That's how I can compare it.

I'm still onto this and I still cannot figure out why, in the new plant, QlikView interprets this INTERVAL() output as a time with 'AM' and 'PM' which it does not do with the old plant - it's also a new database, but it should be exactly the same, just a copy. All the formulas are the same, too, as far as I can tell.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: The INTERVAL() in that instance has no specified format at all. I'll try specifying 'D HH:MM:SS' next.

Ralf Becher

I see.. What if you use WHERE num(ACTIVATION_DATE_DIFF) > 5 then?

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Ralf,

no, that still does not work - as soon as I activate that WHERE clause, the script returns 0 records.

Ralf Becher

Hard to say what's the cause with no data .. I guess it's in the data and has nothing to do with the shown format (AM/PM).

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Ralf,

that's what I was assuming all the time.

When I apply all the filters to the primary qvd_LOAD, then I get only 3 records, but those do have the date_field (timestamp, actually) all right, only the diff_field is still interpreted as a time with 'AM' and 'PM'.

When I use a num() fct on this, it seems to work.

I'll check.

P.S.: Oh my - now I have a numeric value and I can compare it all right - but instead of now getting 1 record, just saying 0 (because, acc. to the listboxes, none of the items is older than 5 days), I get 0 records. I have to find a way of circumventing that.

P.P.S.: It gets stranger and stranger - I can load this num() value from the qvd all right, but I cannot reference it in any way in my RESIDENT LOAD - when I insert it into that load, I get an "Invalid expression" error...

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Ralf,

so, for some reason, this field seems sensitive to the touch - I cannot include it in my RESIDENT LOAD to check, if I do I get an "Invalid expression" error. But I know the value, so that is not too bad.

(in this instance, the value is 3)

When I just include it in a WHERE expression, however, it works fine if I say WHERE Days_on_area > 1 - I still get that one record then.

When I change it to WHERE Days_on_area>5, however - it should be 5 - I get 0 records. OK, there is no record matching that condition, but I would like to avoid that by returning a 0 value in that case.

So, even though the thing stays mysterious, it is now down to quite a "simple" problem. I have tried an "<>0" condition and an ISNULL() condition, but those did not yet do the trick.

It might be because of QlikView's way of executing LOAD statements top-down - the COUNT I have, in itself, is okay, so the functions I have tried did not budge - only the WHERE clause reduces the nr. of records found to 0.

Thus I have to do like a RESIDENT LOAD. The problem is that I have nothing in that historical qvd yet, I was just making a start on it...

P.S.: I would have to find a way to check the nr. of records that was written to that qvd file by the preceding LOAD statement.

Can that be done?

Then I could find out if any records were found and in the opposite case, I would just construct a record with only today's date and a 0.