cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusanSewell
Contributor II
Contributor II

Single Sign On and Alerting REST Apis

Has anyone set up a REST connection to the Qlik Data Alerting REST apis when client-managed Qlik Alerting is configured to use Single Sign On for users?

When trying to set up the REST connection for the provided Qlik Alerting Monitor app, I am getting the following error: ""User service.qlik.test has not set a password. Please set password by clicking on 'forgot password' in Qlik Alerting."}]}" This is the error for all users.

The issue appears to be that the "Is Password Set" attribute for all of our users is set to No.  There is no way to change this value for a user AND because we are using single sign on to synchronize users with our Qlik Sense, there is no way to "set a password" for any user in Qlik Alerts.

I did open a ticket with Support, but was recommend to reach out to the community in case someone else has a solution to getting the REST connection working when Qlik Alerts uses SSO for user sync.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SusanSewell
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I found a solution to this issue.

Initially, I had installed Alerting with SSO authentication.  This configuration works fine, but does not allow you to set up a REST connection due to the validation issue described above.

My solution (after much trial and error) was to wipe the server, install Alerting again and this time choose BASIC authentication rather than SSO.  I was then able to log in with an admin user (in this case the qlik service account) and reset the password using the emailed link.  This gave me a user with a password and the Is Password Set attribute set to True.  

I then went in and configured the Single Sign On authentication.  Once every thing was working, I was able to use the admin user created above in the REST connection to get the monitoring app working.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@SusanSewell I agree that is not a support issue, I tried putting your question into ChatGPT and it gave me guidance on the setup so try putting: how to setup single sign on with qlik alerting apis 

hopefully others with experience with implementing this will also reply!

SusanSewell
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks David, Ah - if only chatGPT had all my answers...... Single sign on is working great in Qlik Alerting - no problems at all with the configuration and set up there.  And I am not convinced (yet) that this is not a support issue.  Either accessing Qlik Alerting via REST is not supported if you are using SSO to handle authentication OR it IS supported and there is some undocumented method or workaround available to change the configuration/user record to allow this to work. 

Hopefully someone else has tried accessing the REST apis with SSO turned on and has some ideas to try.

SusanSewell
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I found a solution to this issue.

Initially, I had installed Alerting with SSO authentication.  This configuration works fine, but does not allow you to set up a REST connection due to the validation issue described above.

My solution (after much trial and error) was to wipe the server, install Alerting again and this time choose BASIC authentication rather than SSO.  I was then able to log in with an admin user (in this case the qlik service account) and reset the password using the emailed link.  This gave me a user with a password and the Is Password Set attribute set to True.  

I then went in and configured the Single Sign On authentication.  Once every thing was working, I was able to use the admin user created above in the REST connection to get the monitoring app working.