Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TankerK
Contributor II
Contributor II

Difference between 1 and {1} - set modifiers

Hi Community,

I have done a tonne of research and reading on qlik sense, but can't seem to get my head around the differences between {1} and 1 when it comes to set modifiers.

For example, for the following two expressions, I get the same result and both change as user selections are made on the filter:

a) Count({<Customer={'X'}>}distinct [SaleNumber])

b) Count({1}{<Customer={'X'}>}distinct [SaleNumber])

However, the following remains static, despite any chances in customer selections made:

c) Count({1<Customer={'X'}>}distinct [SaleNumber])

Can someone please help explain what the difference is between set modifiers {1} and 1 and whether placement of the modifier has any impact?

Thank you!

1 Reply
tresesco
MVP
MVP

It's not really difference between 1 and {1}; because '1' alone i.e. - without curly brackets is not valid in set analysis. Now I will try to explain why you see the difference in behaviour in both scenarios.

b) Count({1}{<Customer={'X'}>}distinct [SaleNumber]) - For this you are actually having two set analysis components separately(set analysis starts with '{' and ends with '}'), and in set analysis in such cases later one overrides the previous one. That means, in this case,  {1} is invalid. Hence the result.

And for your third case, it's a single set analysis (one staring '{' and one closing '}'), therefore it behaves as expected. 

That means you need to write {1} only when you want to disregard ALL fields selection, like : Sum({1} Sales). And use '{1<...' when want to disregard ALL fields with some additional conditions, like : Sum({1<ID={'$(=Max(ID))'} Sales).

Hope this helps.