cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
songguozh
Contributor II
Contributor II

Many tables associating with the same key

Hi, can anyone give an opinion on this style of data model? Many tables are associated with the same key/field.  Will this slow down the performance of the system? TABLES.pngThank you very much!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Like always - it will depend on the kind of data, the size of the data-set and the requirements of the views.

Beside of this I would regard such kind of data-model as rather unsuitable - from a performance point of view as well as to the efforts and difficulties to create a valid data-model and accessing the data within the UI.

There are various reasons for my opinion:

• efforts to create the key (probably per combining of several fields)
  • the size of keys (usually large strings with a lot of distinct field-values)
  • even if multiple fields are included within the key not all necessary/valid association may be possible
  • missing key-values in one or several tables
  • associating from common dimension-tables without ending in circular references and/or synthetic key and/or duplication of fields and/or using different field-names for the same kind of information
  • a rather slow UI performance

View solution in original post

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

Like always - it will depend on the kind of data, the size of the data-set and the requirements of the views.

Beside of this I would regard such kind of data-model as rather unsuitable - from a performance point of view as well as to the efforts and difficulties to create a valid data-model and accessing the data within the UI.

There are various reasons for my opinion:

• efforts to create the key (probably per combining of several fields)
  • the size of keys (usually large strings with a lot of distinct field-values)
  • even if multiple fields are included within the key not all necessary/valid association may be possible
  • missing key-values in one or several tables
  • associating from common dimension-tables without ending in circular references and/or synthetic key and/or duplication of fields and/or using different field-names for the same kind of information
  • a rather slow UI performance