cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lexed
Contributor
Contributor

Excel Sheet vs SQL data source

I am fairly new to QLIK I used it back in 2017 to 2019 then we switched to Power BI and Spot Fire once QLIK took away free access. The company I work for now is using QLIK and instead of using a SQL data source they are using Excel spreadsheets. I haven't received my license yet but I wanted to know if there are limitations with Excel spreadsheets as a data source or if there are any tips or tricks when using Excel data?

Although I am completely against this type of data source it looks like I will have to deal with it. Their current developer says that the filters don't work correctly and may not be able to work in QLIK. I find this hard to believe and once I get access I'm hoping this is not the case. I was just curious if there are limitations with QLIK and an Excel data source when compared to programs like Power BI.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
raoul26
Contributor
Contributor

From my experience Excel is just a another data source. It does have it own quirks but those are mostly related to excel, like date conversion might require some work. If sheet or column names change it isn't good or you have to prepare for it if it's regular thing. You can loop through all sheets in file and use dynamic naming while loading. Don't know what current developer is talking about filters.