Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathysun
Contributor II
Contributor II

skip certain variables for data load

Hi,

I'm currently trying to load data for registered entities. My source data has a few variables that contain super long string and isn't quite necessary for loading/sampling for the data catalog purposes. Is there any way to skip a few variables for data load?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Christopher_Ortega

Thank you. Understood. So, your Catalog table will contain all of the columns but those processing heavy fields.

So, the best way to do this is to delete the entity as it exists now and re-register it with the Catalog. When you add it to your source (existing or new) you will get to a screen that lets you choose which columns you want to bring into the Catalog. By default they are all checked. Simply uncheck those columns with the long strings that you don't want to bring into the Catalog.

[cid:2fc380d3-0ee1-4071-a8ec-40b39cd39a76]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Christopher_Ortega

There may be ways to accomplish this. That said, there are implications for which it is important to understand the answer to some of these questions.

How are end users utilizing the Catalog?
Are they going to utilize these tables in Prepare or Qlik Sense?
Will they need these columns to be available when they perform those actions?

When performing the above, e.g. Publish to Qlik Sense, on a registered entity, under the hood the table gets temporarily promoted to managed and loaded so the data can be utilized. If those fields are not important to these activities you can choose simply not to register them with the table by selecting them out when registering the table with the Catalog.
kathysun
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for your quick response on this matter. These few columns are long strings that contains info that is already broken down and generated for variables for other tables. With that being said, no, those few columns that I want to skip during data load will not be used for the end users. But the table still contains other info that could come in handy for analysis etc. My goal here is still load the data for this table but skipping the columns that are too computing heavy but not generating value.

So is it possible to still register the table but not specific columns?

Christopher_Ortega

Thank you. Understood. So, your Catalog table will contain all of the columns but those processing heavy fields.

So, the best way to do this is to delete the entity as it exists now and re-register it with the Catalog. When you add it to your source (existing or new) you will get to a screen that lets you choose which columns you want to bring into the Catalog. By default they are all checked. Simply uncheck those columns with the long strings that you don't want to bring into the Catalog.

[cid:2fc380d3-0ee1-4071-a8ec-40b39cd39a76]
kathysun
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Omg didn't know why I looked through everywhere but missed that! yes problem solved.

Thank you so much Christopher.

uchimaru8
Contributor
Contributor

NP, always trying to point others in the right direction. I’ve been a beginner forever...I might not know how to code yet, but I’m amassing a wealth of links/learning resources.hope it helps, Trey Hunner has great in depth coverage on many Python topics.