cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinR
Contributor
Contributor

CSV File not loading

I have about a dozen csv files I'm trying to load to Qlik Sense Desktop. For some strange reason there are several csv files that go thru the load wizard but do not load any data no matter how many times I try. I also don't get any error messages for the failed csv loads

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix this ?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Qlik has always does this to stop you getting synthetic keys with multiple tables with the same fields, if you load to table with the same structure it assumes they should be concatenated. I would normally add the function NoConcatenate to stop this happening, then add aliasing to the table names.

View solution in original post

marcus_sommer

Like @Mark_Little mentioned you could change this behaviour but doing this creates usually much more efforts and disadvantages as benefits. Therefore I suggest to consider to load them into a single table. By adding an extra source-field - manually specified or created with features like filebasename() - you could differentiate between the files in selections or any conditions.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

HI @MartinR 

You would probably need to share your script and an example bad file.

first thing i would try is to load a single bad file in isolation and check results.

MartinR
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi @Mark_Little 

Upon further analysis I have discovered the data from missing csv files was loaded to the data storage for one of the already loaded csv files. The missing csv files all share the same data structure as the csv that loaded and the data is being loaded to that first csv file.

I can see this in the data load script. Why would Qlik Sense do this and how do I change its behaviour to always load a csv file to its own Qlik Sense table ?

MartinR
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I have csv files with identical structure:
vw_cobra_ap_enablement_exception_summary - loaded first
vw_cobra_exception_summary - data loaded to vw_cobra_ap_enablement_exception_summary
vw_orion_exception_summary - data loaded to vw_cobra_ap_enablement_exception_summary
vw_osas_ap_enablement_exception_summary - data loaded to vw_cobra_ap_enablement_exception_summary
vw_osas_exception_summary - data loaded to vw_cobra_ap_enablement_exception_summary

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Qlik has always does this to stop you getting synthetic keys with multiple tables with the same fields, if you load to table with the same structure it assumes they should be concatenated. I would normally add the function NoConcatenate to stop this happening, then add aliasing to the table names.

marcus_sommer

Like @Mark_Little mentioned you could change this behaviour but doing this creates usually much more efforts and disadvantages as benefits. Therefore I suggest to consider to load them into a single table. By adding an extra source-field - manually specified or created with features like filebasename() - you could differentiate between the files in selections or any conditions.

- Marcus

MartinR
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks @Mark_Little and @marcus_sommer for advice.