cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwighttrumbower
Creator
Creator

Feb 2023 upgrade with Postgresql 12

Currently on Nov 22 version of Qlik Sense.

Upgraded to postgresql 12 with no issues.
Upgrade to Feb 2023 failed leaving no working server. 

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experience.  I am working with support.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Benoit_C
Support
Support

Hello @Roberto_Licciardello,

If you migrate Postgres version to 12 using our tool QPI (Qlik PostgreSQL Installer) from below article, then it's normal that Qlik Sense Repository Database service is not starting.
It's replaced by another service called postgresql-x64-12.

From the article, before to migrate Qlik Sense to another version, it's very important to performance the last step, otherwise you'll have some issue.

Last step is to uninstall to old qlik service.

Regards,
Benoit

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Upgrading-Qlik-Sense-Repository-Database-fro...

Finalizing the Upgrade/Uninstalling the old Database Service:

No further steps are needed unless you plan to upgrade Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to the next major release. If you plan to upgrade to, for example, November 2022, the old Qlik Sense Repository Database service must be removed from the server.

Perform the following steps to delete the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service:

1. Open a command prompt and run the command:
    cd "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"
  2. From there, run:
    c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\dir /s PostgreSQL.msi
  3. The folder containing PostgreSQL.msi will be revealed.
  4. Right-click on the PostgreSQL.msi file and select uninstall from the menu.

View solution in original post

Roberto_Licciardello
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Benoit,

I confirm that, following correctly all the phases described in the installation manual (I had forgotten the last part of eliminating the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service), everything works perfectly.

Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Mike_Dickson
Support
Support

@dwighttrumbower  Do you happen to know what kind of error you received during the upgrade within the Qlik Sense Install logs?

Typically, when an upgrade fails you should be able to find the error within the install logs which is located in the Temp folder of the userID that is preforming the upgrade. IE: C:\Users\Administrator.DOMAIN\AppData\Local\Temp

There will be quite a few logs in there, but you should be able to find the last log generated before a rollback occurred. Example: If you were watching the installer and it failed while upgrading the Service Dispatcher, you would want to look at this specific log. To find where it failed, do a search for "Value 3" and then scroll up from there and it should help explain where the install failed.

Unfortunately there could be many different reason that it failed with different resolutions, but hopefully this info will help narrow down what caused the issue. Once you know this, we have many articles available for the different errors.

Sr. Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Roberto_Licciardello

Hi,

I have the same problem. The upgrade the upgrade is successful, but the Qlik Sense services do not start. In particular, the Database service does not start.

Albert_Candelario

Good morning,

What error are you getting on the logs, could you please share as it might help other users of the Community, thanks!

Cheers,

Albert

@Benoit_C 

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
Roberto_Licciardello

Hi Albert,

I don't have the logs because I reverted the server to the snapshot I had done.
In days I try to install everything again and eventually I'll turn around the errors.

Benoit_C
Support
Support

Hello @Roberto_Licciardello,

If you migrate Postgres version to 12 using our tool QPI (Qlik PostgreSQL Installer) from below article, then it's normal that Qlik Sense Repository Database service is not starting.
It's replaced by another service called postgresql-x64-12.

From the article, before to migrate Qlik Sense to another version, it's very important to performance the last step, otherwise you'll have some issue.

Last step is to uninstall to old qlik service.

Regards,
Benoit

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Upgrading-Qlik-Sense-Repository-Database-fro...

Finalizing the Upgrade/Uninstalling the old Database Service:

No further steps are needed unless you plan to upgrade Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to the next major release. If you plan to upgrade to, for example, November 2022, the old Qlik Sense Repository Database service must be removed from the server.

Perform the following steps to delete the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service:

1. Open a command prompt and run the command:
    cd "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"
  2. From there, run:
    c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\dir /s PostgreSQL.msi
  3. The folder containing PostgreSQL.msi will be revealed.
  4. Right-click on the PostgreSQL.msi file and select uninstall from the menu.

Roberto_Licciardello

Hi Benoit,

I confirm that, following correctly all the phases described in the installation manual (I had forgotten the last part of eliminating the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service), everything works perfectly.

Thank you!!!

Benoit_C
Support
Support

Hi @Roberto_Licciardello,

Nice news, thanks for confirming!
Have a great day.

Regards,
Benoit