Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III

Restore apps in another server

Hi, guys.

Here is my scenario: I would like to backup apps (and only apps and objects related to them - like extensions and keep custom sheets to their owners) from a server and restore in another one.

Reason: test of new QS versions before apply in production server and to check if custom extensions broke.

Restrictions: we have tons of apps, there are another users and sensitive info. And we'd like to test the exact app in the new version.

Any tip would be really helpful.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Turns out it's related to Windows services user.

In the Qlik's help it's mentioned "We recommend that you use a dedicated Windows user account to run the Qlik Sense services" but, actually, I had to use a dedicated Windows user account.

As QlikClient certificate is personal, user carries them out to AD and conflicts when the same account runs the services on different servers.

Once I use a different service account, the issue is gone.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

So something like this: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000041283 ?

ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Unfortunately no.

That KB show how to migrate all data to another server (including topology - nodes -, tasks, security rules, etc). I just need the apps and objects related to them.

Just to make myself clearer: I tried this before but, somehow, the self signed certificate (QlikClient) conflicted with existing server (ServerA is my production server and ServerB is my new one where I restored that backup data from ServerA. Note: both of them are central nodes).

So I thought: if I restore all data in a new server (following the KB), the old one must be shutdown to new one works, is that correct?

If not, I'd like to understand what could caused this.

If so, the KB isn't exactly what I need. I'd like to restore only the apps to, for example, test a new QS version or else, refactor all my security rules.

Thanks in advanced!

Chotana_pou
Employee
Employee

All your apps are stored in your \\shared\Apps folder

The binary files here are the apps ; you can find the ID in the QMC>Apps>Columns selector and add the ID column

Copy the binaries

Rename all of them as example MyBinary =>  MyBinary.qvd

Import them in the new environment.

But you won't be able to export and import private users sheets and bookmarks. This is a more complex and unsupported method.

And if you have a lot of apps, then the easiest way is to export one by one the Apps and extensions (even if it's painful).

You can do the same with the API, but as before, the sheets and bookmarks will be lost.

ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yeap, already tried it too, @Chotana_pou .

But, as you said, QMC will generate a new ID to them and all relationship are lost.

I'm just trying to confirm if there is a way to solve this kind of scenario or not.

But thanks anyway!

Giuseppe_Novello

Then unfortunately you did it wrong the process. No, you do no have to shut down the original environment or just keep one, you may have both environment, and the QlikClient cer will be recreate it once you execute the bootstrap step , but yes! you will required to change license to keep both environments live, or else, you will be violating the license agreement. As you said to Chotana solution, "them and all relationship are lost." then Levi suggesting is the best, you will need the database, if you required the apps to be exact what they are in your current environment, since the DB carries the metadata that keeps the apps exactly how they are on your current environment. 

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply, @Giuseppe_Novello !

Please, could you help me to understand which step in the KB process (or which kind of config) could cause this self-signed certificate conflict?

I think that if I could understand (and, of course, fix it), I'd move one with the KB solution.

Thanks again!

Giuseppe_Novello

Well, to begin with this statement:

" I tried this before but, somehow, the self signed certificate (QlikClient) conflicted with existing server (see attachment - BRSPQLIKSENSE is my production server and BRDCQLIKSENPRX is my new one where I restored that backup data from BRSPQLIKSENSE. "

Why would it conflict? Since the only certificate you need to transfer is the Trusted root with the new hosting name, on step#5. Then the QlikClient will regenerated with the new hosting name once you execute bootstrap ( step#20 under "new server"). 

Giuseppe Novello
ennioaoki
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yeah, that was my starting point to figure out another way to restore apps in another server...

I don't know but that's what's happening when the server is up. It conflicts with the another one.

Since I couldn't understand, I'm trying to import only the apps.

But I'll really appreciate if you could help with one or with the other issue!

Giuseppe_Novello

No, I guess I wasn't clear, you statement is incorrect, since there should not be a conflict of QlikClient certificates, so I am not sure where are you getting the fact that was a cert conflict by following the article steps. The steps are straight and forward, follow the article steps and let us know where you getting stuck. 

BR

gio

Giuseppe Novello