Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saif1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Universal Data connection

Hello Qlikers, 

I want to make a data connection to an oracle database, this connection needs to be done in a universal way that any users who logs in into their Qlik environemnt , makes a new application, this connection has to be their and loaded within any new application created by the end users. 

So the end user should only create an application and go straight into building visulisation without handeling the back end ( the data connection ) this is becuase the data that the users will use will always be the same connection but it is refreshed daily. 

Any help with this ? any tricks or tips ?

Kind regards,

Saefddin

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

I'm struggling to understand what exactly it is you're trying to achieve. It sounds like you want users to open an app and create their own content based on a pre-built data model, which is pretty much how Qlik works natively. The source of said data doesn't matter. If that's the case, you don't really have to do anything special - just make sure your users have a Professional license so they can create their own sheets and objects. Do be aware that you will need to apply any necessary security if not all users are supposed to see all data.

Saif1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

It is exactly as you described, but i want them to go directly into the buidling sheets without having to enter the connections to the data base every time they want to build a new application. 

have you got my thoughts ? if so , how is this doable ?

Thank you

Or
MVP
MVP

In this scenario, users would not be building new applications. Rather, they would be building new sheets in an existing application with your pre-built data source. At least, that's how it's meant to work in Qlik Sense.

Saif1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

This is exactly why i asked about it here in the community , 

The challenge is that they do not want to configure connecting to the oracle data base everytime they need to make an application. 

they want it on the fly to be already connected.

Is this something (Universal ?) doable ? 

Or
MVP
MVP

Once a data connection is defined, it only needs to be added to an app, which is literally a single click - so that really shouldn't be an issue if that's what you're after, and trying to set up some sort of default is probably not necessary. You'd just need to make sure users have access to this connection from a security perspective.

Ideally, though, people shouldn't all be querying the database. A typical implementation scenario is for a developer to build an app, and for users to consume that app (and add their own sheets/objects if desired). Giving end-users database access is not usually the best idea, from both a security and a performance standpoint.

Saif1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Can you please elaborate on this method ? the single click one ?
This will help alot.

thank you in advance

Or
MVP
MVP

Or_0-1694686404116.png

Note that the second button opens a data load wizard from the source in question.

Saif1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Saif1_0-1694686555328.png

If they have to make a new application , don't they need to fill everything here everytime ? 
correct if i am wrong.

the idea is that they can build applications on the fly with the same data source in every different application without needing an IT team to come and give them the data source connection paramaters + database name and such

Or
MVP
MVP

Absolutely not - once a connection is defined, it can be used by anyone (as long as you've given them permissions to see it using the appropriate security rules). You absolutely should not have each user creating their own connection - it'd be a nightmare to administer.

Just be sure that the people in question are allowed to query the database using the credentials in the connection, since it'll be the same for everyone you share it with.