Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
sna
Partner - Contributor III

We sometimes suffer from trying to show as much information as possible in QlikView.  In order for us to categorize the information so the users can consume it more easily and smoothly, the first option you may consider is using tabs. 

Tabs are a great way to categorize the information for users; however, if you abuse the tab system in QlikView, users may get confused or miss some important information that is available for them.  This is why.

•          When there are too many tabs, then QlikView wraps the tabs and creates multiple rows of tabs in QlikView Desktop.

Tab1s.png

•          The point above is a different usability in AJAX client when many tabs exist.  QlikView creates buttons to navigate the rest of the tabs that are hidden, just like MS Excel. As you can imagine, this can be a risk of users missing some information.

tab2s.png

Have you seen an application like this?  Well, I have.  Yes, in a real life use case.

tab3s.png

In this extreme case, rows of tabs can be as many as the example above.  This is an example with 1024x768 screen resolution.  As you can see, we are losing the real estate for information display for the tabs.  It is about 1/3 of the entire real state for tabs.

In order to avoid this tab nightmare, you have a few options to overcome this situation.  First, think about the hierarchy of your information categories.  Then, consider using 1) a container object, 2) sub-tabular system, 3) a multi-box or 4) combination of these options. 

This is one example of using the Option2: sub tabular-system.

tab4s.png

If you are curious to know more about this topic, you can see the tech brief here.  More example snapshots and how each option works are documented in detail.

I hope you have a better understanding on how to deal with many tabs in QlikView.

7 Comments
paulyeo11
Master
Master

You alway write nice article. But this one your ending too fast. I wish to know what you mean by option 2. In your main body of article.

paulyeo11
Master
Master

okay manage to load the pdf file and understand you approach on option 2. very smart way i never think of this before. thank you for your sharing, very helpful tips.

0 Likes
sna

Thank you for your input.  I made some changes towards the end of the article.  I hope it is clearer to everyone.  The "meat" is in the tech brief!

0 Likes
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

When I have been faced with needing this many tabs I have used conditional show on tabs, and then set up buttons to switch between tab groups.  By setting the tabs to be different colours it is easy to know which tab group you are currently in.

Thanks for another useful article.

Steve

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

0 Likes
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Here at our company we use a menu extension to handle this issue.

First we´ve hiden all tabs and then implemented a QV Extension that 'reads' a table and shows the menu (folding/unfolding to show second level), including using Data Reduction to show only the views that user is allowed of.

Capturar1.PNG

Capturar2.PNG

0 Likes
simongoodman
Creator
Creator

This was very interesting and helpful. I have used the solution mentioned by Steve. I have also used containers but found them restrictive though a container in a container was a nice work around. But option 2 and option 3 were new to me and I will bear them in mind for the future. I wish I had known these solutions when I struggled with my first qvw.

0 Likes
paulyeo11
Master
Master

Hi All

i try to implement option 2 , Can some advise me how to do it on below link :-

http://community.qlik.com/message/362437#362437

0 Likes