Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
Francis_Kabinoff
Former Employee
Former Employee

Did you know that you can register extensions on the fly in mashups? That's right, you can register an extension in a mashup to use in that mashup, regardless of whether the extension is already loaded into your Qlik Sense environment. That means you can distribute your mashup with any extensions it uses as one package, and you have total control of the extension version your mashup is using.

Doing it is pretty straightforward. You just need to load the extension code into your mashup, then register it. It'll look something like this.

require(["js/qlik"], function (qlik) { //load qlik module

require(["path-to-my-extension/my-extension.js"], function(myExtension) { //load extension entry point

qlik.registerExtension( 'my-extension', myExtension ); //register extension

//do stuff with extension

});

});

Notice that I loaded the extension entry point after loading the qlik module. That's because many extensions use the qlik module, and if your extension loads the qlik module but you try to load your extension code before loading the qlik module in your mashup, you'll end up with errors. So better just to load the extension after the qlik module has been loaded in your mashup.

Once the extension has been registered you can do stuff with it, like use it with the Visualization API. An interesting use case is if you are loading objects that use an extension from an app into your mashup. The version of the extension you register with the mashup will override the extension loaded into your Qlik Sense environment, which can be really useful.

You can read more about it and see a few examples here Creating extensions on the fly.