Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

How To License QlikView Desktop Client

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

How To License QlikView Desktop Client

Last Update:

Aug 29, 2023 5:18:23 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Dec 1, 2014 1:39:26 AM

Attachments

The below instructions cover the three different ways of licensing a QlikView Desktop client.  

For information about troubleshooting, please see Troubleshooting QlikView License Lease Issues.
For general license application issues in the QlikView Server, see Error Message "Server Failed To Set License" When Applying License In QMC

Option 1: Lease license from a QlikView Server

Please see the article How to Lease a License from QlikView Server for details on license lease.

Option 2: Apply QlikView Desktop License 

Before applying a QlikView Desktop license, make sure that you have a valid license key and control number available. Also confirm with your QlikView license administrator that the license is indicated for a QlikView Desktop client, and not a QlikView server. 

1. Open QlikView Desktop client  
  2. Go to Settings User Preferences
    User-added image
  3. Select the License tab in the User Preference dialog 
  4. Click the Change button 
    User-added image
  5. Enter the License KeyControl Number, User Name and Organization
    User-added image
  6. Click Next to proceed
  7. Select your regions and click OK 
    User-added image
  8. Read the End User License Agreement (EULA), and click "I Agree" to accept the conditions. 
    User-added image
  9. QlikView Desktop client contacts a license server to validate the license number and control number. 
  10. If license server can not be reached the license can be applied with a License Enable Filer (LEF). Go to step <ENTER NUMBER> for more details.
  11. Successful license validation is indicated 
    User-added image
  12. Click Continue to close the license dialog. 
  13. Click OK to close the User Preferences
  14. Close and reopen the QlikView Desktop Client for the license to apply.

NOTE: For information on where the LEF servers are located, see List of IP Addresses behind license.qlikcloud.com and lef.qliktech.com  

Option 3: Apply license with License Enabler File (LEF) 

Before applying a QlikView Desktop license through LEF file, make sure that you have a valid license key, control number and LEF file available. Also confirm with your QlikView license administrator that the license is indicates for a QlikView Desktop client, and not a QlikView server. 

The LEF file contains elements as exemplified below. Confirm that your LEF file has the correct license number, correct product level and that date supports your product installation. The LEF file productlevel 3 indicates a QlikView Desktop client license, the values 1 or 2 might also be vaild for older licenses. The date must be the date of the major version or later in order to be able to upgrade to a new major release of the product. The LEF file also contains a checksum which validates the details of the LEF file. 

1324567891234567                -> License key number
PRODUCTLEVEL; 3;; 2013-01-01    -> Product level, Product value, Product date

BBX2-QWD3-34XS-VSF1-WSF12       -> CheckSum

NOTE: You can request License Enabler (LEF) files for your licenses from the Support Portal (login required) by following this article How to request a control number and LEF. If you are unable to login, click "Contact Support" on this page.

1. Do steps 1-8 above, then continue to step 16.
  2. Connection to license server is indicated
  3. Select "Enter my License Information manually (LEF)" to apply license through LEF file. Click Next.
    User-added image
  4. Copy and paste the LEF information into the text box. 
    User-added image
  5. Click Next to apply the license. NOTE: Invalid LEF details disables the Next option. 
  6. Successful license validation is indicated  
    User-added image
  7. Click Continue to close the license dialog. 
  8. Click OK to close the User Preferences
  9. Close and reopen the QlikView Desktop Client for the license to apply.
Labels (2)
Comments
Roliba001
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi, Toni, excelente explanation. Congratulations. 

I've tried to activate my Qlikview Desktop in both way. But didn't work.

1. I put de License Key and Control Number, pushed the "Next" button.

2. "Region Window" to select doesn't apear to me. Goes direct to "End user lincense agreement window" instead.

3. The window "End user license agreement" appears with this notificantion:

"NOTICE - This is an Early Release Version of the Software that: Is still under development and testing and is not intended for commercial use. Contains functionality intended to limit the duration of its use. Contains functionality intended to collect certain user metrics about the way it is being used. PLEASE READ THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU AGREE TO ITS TERMS BEFORE PROCEEDING"

My LEF information is:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

DISABLE_DMS;YES;; FORCE_AUTHENTICATION;YES;;

NUMBER_OF_DOCUMENTCALS;15;;

NUMBER_OF_USERCALS;5;;

PRODUCTLEVEL;10;;2015-04-01

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

And I'm tring to set the licence onQlikview 12.10.0.0

I have sucess conection when I update the license from server at Qlikview Management Console. System > Licenses > Qlikview Server License.

But still dosn't work.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Roliba001 

It looks like you are attempting to use a license that has been out of maintenance since 2015

PRODUCTLEVEL;10;;2015-04-01

In combination with a version of the product that is no longer covered by support.

In addition, this is a server license, which would be applied to a QlikView server, not a Desktop client directly. From where the license is then leased as described in the article. 

Troubleshooting steps for license lease issues can be found here: Troubleshooting QlikView License Lease Issues 

If you require further assistance from Support I would need to urge you to contact your account manager to look into renewing the license and obtain information about how to proceed with QlikView upgrades

Roliba001
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Sonja, thanks for the explanation. 

Actually I'm trying to enter my license on the Qlikview server. I understand that version 12.10 is no longer supported. But my license should continue to work. I just wouldn't have the right to continue receiving upgrades and support, right?

Thanks again

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Roliba001 

The expired maintenance is why the license is not working in this case. I didn't look up the release date earlier (my bad), but your comment about the upgrades reminded me I should have.

To clarify: 

This license will not apply to a server version that has been released after the support date has expired. 12.10 IR was released in 2016, which makes this license invalid for use with this version. 

Roliba001
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Sonja, Many thanks! It seems my release version would be 11.20.

By the way...

1. Is it easy to learn how to work with Qliksense? 

2. Is it easy to convert qlikview documents to qliksense documents?

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Roliba001 

We have a collection of resources that I hope answers both of your questions! 🙂

QlikView to Qlik Sense - Migrating to Qlik Sense SaaS editions 

Version history
Last update:
‎2023-08-29 05:18 AM
Updated by: