Digital Support

Qlik Sense QRS API: Error 429 in September 2020 and later when uploading a file

Last Update:

Apr 12, 2021 4:38:38 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Apr 12, 2021 4:38:38 AM

Error 429 (Too many requests) is returned in September 2020 and later when uploading a big number of files.

Environments:

The information in this article is provided as-is and to be used at own discretion. Depending on tool(s) used, customization(s), and/or other factors ongoing support on the solution below may not be provided by Qlik Support.

Resolution

This is due to the new DoS (Denial of Service) protection in those versions. Error 429 will happen more than 60 upload requests are sent in a 30 seconds time frame.

This protection can be disabled. Qlik does not recommend disabling DoS attack protection. 

In C:\Program  Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\Repository.exe.config file, set the following option to false to disable it.

<add key="UseDosProtector" value="false"/>

Qlik cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by a DoS attack if the above option has been disabled.

Labels (2)
Comments
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Does this rate limit still apply in 2022-Nov version of client-managed Qlike Sense?

I get a 429 error when trying to upload the 61:st qvf file even though I want for 5 seconds between each upload. 
Which should be more than enough to avoid the rate limiting.

Or is it 60 uploads in 300 seconds... instead of 30 seconds?

Thx

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @mountaindude 

The rate limit was not changed, but according to a developer: after you add each new upload it counts a 30 seconds offset. So if you're up to 60 uploads, you have to wait 30 sec before starting the next one.

All the best,
Sonja 

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Cool, thanks for the update.

I got things working by using a backoff strategy when app uploads failed.
I.e. wait for a while, try again, wait a bit longer, try again etc.
Works well enough.

My use case was the open source Ctrl-Q tool, which now has a command for doing bulk uploads of QVF files to client-managed Qlik Sense (and associated reload tasks too).
Blog post: https://ptarmiganlabs.com/the-lazy-qlik-developer-3-bulk-export-import-of-both-apps-and-reload-tasks...

Version history
Last update:
‎2021-04-12 04:38 AM
Updated by: