Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
federerman
Contributor III
Contributor III

Abort Command

It appears QlikSense does not have a simple way to abort the script AND show the run as a failure.  I come from a SAS background and in that language, there was a command called ABORT.  this would terminate the script and throw an error so it was very obvious the run was a failure.  Without this functionality, a scheduled task could terminate early due to an exit script call, but the task status would be success.

I derived a work around solution below, but would love if something like this were native to the qlik script language 🙂

/**********/
/* Abort. */
/**********/

/*

Created: 20190201 - Kenneth Krehbiel
Modified:

This sub is used to terminate a qlik script and intentionally throw an error.
Using exit script alone will kill the script, but not show the run as a failure.
Thus you could easily miss a bad run via the qmc...

Note that the command is a direct ripoff of the SAS command ABORT...

*/

Sub Abort(AbortMessage);
Trace
******************** ERROR! ********************
$(AbortMessage)
Exiting Script...
******************** ERROR! ********************;
intentional error - see message above for details;
Exit Script;
End Sub;

2 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You are correct there is no native exit with error command.  Traditionally what we have done is just put the message as a statement, which will be invalid and generate an error. 

$(AbortMessage)

or 

Terminating due to missing file.

-Rob

federerman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Rob,

Thanks for your reply!  I like both those methods you provided.  Though I still think having an explicit command like ABORT would be a nice feature in some future version of Qlik.  Just helps new users if they are familiar with other programming languages.

-Ken