cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yh2023
Contributor III
Contributor III

Handling Circular Reference Error in Qlik Sense Data Model

I have encountered a circular reference error while trying to create a Qlik Sense data model involving three tables: Visits, Referrals, and Valid Referrals.

I need to establish a common date field and common users_id to enable filtering across all tables and also to connect user information across these tables.

I attempted to create a table called "Common Date" with columns for Common Date, dates from Visits, Referrals, and Valid Referrals tables respectively. Similarly, I created a table named "Common User" with columns for Common Users_id and users_id from each of the three tables.

yh2023_0-1708582165491.png

However, this approach resulted in a circular reference error. I believe this error stems from the interconnections between the tables, which Qlik Sense cannot resolve.

What would be the best approach to resolve this circular reference error and create a functional data model that allows for seamless filtering and analysis across all tables? Any insights or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Error- 

yh2023_1-1708582225789.png

Thank you.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fabiano_Martino_Intelco
Partner - Contributor III

Hi @yh2023 

if you want to use a table with common dimensions you should pay attention to circular references.

In this scenario concatenated tables or link tables offer a good solution.

I suggest you the following article:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Concatenate-vs-Link-Table/ba-p/1467569

It is from 2013, but the information i still valid.

I personally prefer concatenated tables, but link tables are also a good solution.

Regards

Fabiano

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PhanThanhSon
Creator
Creator

Hi,

If all keys are correct, I would drop or rename some keys so that there are no circular references. Perhaps the following fields could be deleted or renamed accordingly to eliminate the circular reference.

IMG_5197.jpeg

However, I cannot guarantee that the relations will still be accurate.

Best regards Son

anat
Master
Master

you can check on "common users" table association with other tables,

now common users table is joining with 3 tables so thats why you are getting circle loop.

yh2023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @anat 

The circular error is likely occurring due to the presence of two common tables: one for dates and another for users. In Qlik, there's typically a limit of connecting tables with one common table. However, in this scenario, we have two common tables. Any suggestions on resolving this issue would be greatly valued.

Regards
Bhavya

yh2023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @PhanThanhSon 

The names are different for users_id in three tables, had they been same they would be connected.

Fabiano_Martino_Intelco

Hi @yh2023 

if you want to use a table with common dimensions you should pay attention to circular references.

In this scenario concatenated tables or link tables offer a good solution.

I suggest you the following article:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Concatenate-vs-Link-Table/ba-p/1467569

It is from 2013, but the information i still valid.

I personally prefer concatenated tables, but link tables are also a good solution.

Regards

Fabiano

yh2023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks to for the help, I've transitioned to a concatenated model, creating both fact and dimension tables.