cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KimFerguson
Contributor II
Contributor II

QLIK SENSE loading data by script

I can't figure out how to write an SQL script in QLIK SENSE. In HUE, Hive SQL works correctly: Kohl's Feedback Survey

`select d.* from  
(
select d.num, max(d.d_timestamp) as `maxt` 
from dictionary as d 
group by d.num
) as t 
left join dictionary as d ON t.num = d.num and t.maxt = d.d_timestamp
order by d.dictionary_id`

I need to write the same script, but when uploading data to QLIK SENSE. I've tried this, but it doesn't work:

LOAD *;
SQL SELECT *
FROM 
(
SELECT dictionary_last.num, max(dictionary_last.d_timestamp) as maxt
FROM HIVE.`final`.`dictionary` as dictionary_last
) as t
left join gbv_dictionary_last ON t.num = dictionary_last.num and t.maxt = gbv_dictionary_last.d_timestamp
order by dictionary_last.id;

catching an exception: Connector reply error: SQL##f - SqlState: S1000, ErrorCode: 80, ErrorMsg: [Microsoft][Hardy] (80) Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query. Error message from server: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Line 7:10 Table not found 'dictionary_last'

Labels (1)
3 Replies
carlos_molino
Contributor III
Contributor III

Try something like this:

[QUERY]:
LOAD *;

SQL
SELECT
dictionary_last.num as num,
max(dictionary_last.d_timestamp) as maxt
FROM
HIVE.`final`.`dictionary` as dictionary_last
GROUP BY dictionary_last.num;
left join
SELECT
gbv_dictionary_last.d_timestamp
FROM
gbv_dictionary_last as maxt
ORDER BY
id;

that is, first you bring the table with the calculation of the Max and then you perform the left join with the other table for the common fields.

williejacobs
Creator
Creator

Hi Kim

If you want to join he data with SQL script I would try it this way.

LOAD *;
SQL SELECT *
FROM
(
SELECT dictionary_last.num, max(dictionary_last.d_timestamp) as maxt
FROM HIVE.`final`.`dictionary` as dictionary_last
) as t
left join
(Select *
From gbv_dictionary_last
) as gbv
ON t.num = gbv.num and t.maxt = gbv.d_timestamp
order by gbv.id;

However, do not Load (*) from the select as this would give you an ambiguous column name error due to the num column being on both tables.

Calum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kim,
I think the main error is the reference to dictionary_last in both the order by clause and the join (dictionary_last.id and dictionary_last.num). dictionary_last is an alias used in your subquery created to select your max time stamp but the subquery is aliased as t.
In your join you're joining t.num = dictionary_last.num, think this should be t.num = gbv_dictionary_last.num. You've also dropped the group by clause when you've put your SQL into Qlik for some reason.
As a rule, if the SQL works on the host system it will work as a call from QLIK, but be careful to fully specify your tables - so include both the database they're in and the schema.
Hope that helps.