Support

Engine auto table naming process is not working

Last Update:

Feb 2, 2022 10:15:39 AM

Updated By:

NadiaB

Created date:

Jan 24, 2022 9:54:11 AM

Engine auto table naming process does not work.

When a table is created and a new table is created using NoConcatenate before the statement, the engine will assign a name to the table Tablename-1.

I was reported that a script that was using this implementation generating multiple tables with name Tablename-1 (creating and dropping tables) on the same script stopped working, the script would look for a resident table named Tablename-1 and it was found that at some point the table comes as Tablename-5 instead.

Environment

• Qlik Sense April 2020 Patch 4 (13.72.9)

This could also impact QlikView as both products QlikView and Qlik Sense use the same engine. 

Resolution

As best developing practices, it is not recommended let the Engine auto-name fields or tables.

Cause

The behavior is considered to be working as designed.

There are several (intentional) limitations in this area where renaming a field or a table is suspended during a table-transformation step and a name based on the original name is automatically generated (i.e. concatenation of tables etc.). This is due to the fact that the table names are used as references throughout these operations with parallel tables, and as a consequence, a unique synthetic table names will be generated where necessary in order to maintain the correspondence between tables throughout the operation.

There are a number of occurrences where the auto-generated table names may differ with each reload, simply by adding or removing data records, thus affecting sort orders, load orders etc. This is why it is highly recommended to establish proper field names instead of relying on arbitrary, auto-generated, synthetic names.

R&D's engine team made a fix in the generation of unique table names relatively recently and that is most likely the cause for this reported change in behavior. This change was necessary in order to establish and maintain unique table names when the base name was occurring in multiple tables, whereas previously, the serial number added to the table name did not take this into account.

NOTE: Auto naming can occur in different scenarios, it is necessary to ensure that the tables are explicitly named to prevent the issue. Table names

Internal Investigation ID:

• QB-2054
Labels (1)
Comments
goos_it
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Nadia,

Was this issue fixed or could it be analyzed in depth? I have a similar error at my customer that a table gets the name of a previously loaded one (with a -xx extension), but neither do any of the fieldnames of those tables match nor is there any concatenate or something. The only thing is that the "wrongly named table" has no explicit name, but is loaded from qvd with  "load * from tablename.qvd". This worked fine (meaning it was correctly name "tablename") until the new table was added. Even adding a "NoConcatenate" to the later loaded table did not fix the issue. When I move the script-tab to a different position, a different table gets the wrong name. (the first one after the newly added table.)

BR, Stephan

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @goos_it 

I'd recommend posting about this in the appropriate forum (App Development) to receive assistance from our engineers as well as our community members.

All the best,
Sonja 

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2022-02-02 10:15 AM
Updated by: