Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Worry Free Migration for QlikView Server / Publisher

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troy_Raney
Digital Support
Digital Support

Worry Free Migration for QlikView Server / Publisher

Last Update:

Mar 24, 2023 5:28:23 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Mar 20, 2020 6:34:00 AM

This session will address the following:
-Key files and information
-Multiple migration scenarios
-Best practices
-Demonstration

Resources:
System Requirements
Backup and Restore QlikView
Using the Governance Dashboard
Qlik Power Tools

Shared File Cleaning Tool
Customized Authentication in QlikView 11.x and 12.x
How To Enable QlikView Document Reload Log
Scaling the QlikView Publisher
Upgrading and migration best practices 
How to Import tasks from one system to another by using Remote Management Service

Key Files:
CalData.pgo
– C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer as well as the Root Folder path specified in QMC\System\Setup\QVServer resource\Folders tab settings.
QVPR Folder - C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR and you can verify in QMC\System\Setup\Management Service resource\Repository tab settings.
QVServer Settings.ini - C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer
QVWS Config.xml - C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\WebServer
Certificates for Cert Trust – Microsoft MMC Certificates add-on
Qlik Service exe.config files  - C:\Program Files\QlikView\Service folder\...exe.config
Publisher Source Docs – QMC\System\Setup\Distribution Service resource\General tab\ Source Documents area.
QVServer User/AccessPoint docs – QMC\System\Setup\QlikView Server resource\Folders tab\ Root Folder and/or Folder Mount paths.

Q and A:
Q: Distribution services hangs. I have called few times and open tickets no resolution. Can you cover chucking size and cpu usage is 100 %?
A: It is not going to be possible for me to really troubleshoot this at this time, I would recommend you open another support case if the others have been closed and include your QDS Root_date logs for the day(s) the issue is occurring as well as the QMS logs as well.  Be sure the QMS service logging is set to High verbosity in this case too, you may need to do the same on QDS too in order to get the maximum information from the logging.

Q: Can Tasks, Bookmarks and other user objects be migrated from QV 11 to QV 12?
A: Yes, the Tasks come over as part of the QVPR file migration from the old environment to the new environment, and the bookmarks and user objects are stored in the .shared/.tshared files, so be sure to copy those over from the old to new environment too in order to have those available to the users.

Q: Can you how to setup a standby publisher if it goes down or hangs stand by will kick-in?
A: There is no such thing as a standby Publisher, you would need a Publisher Cluster to have failover, the only other thing you could do is have another VM with things already installed on standby and when the primary goes down, change the Service URL in the QMC\System\Setup\QDS Resource\General tab settings to point to the standby server instance after ensuring the service has been started.

Q: When I did the QVPR migration, the Distribution Service ID got overlapped and I could now see QDS servers from one environment clustered into another. Why would that have happened?
A: The only thing of which I can think is you had the same QDS Service URLs in both QMS/QMC environments, it is very important you ensure the Service URLs are updated prior to bringing things online with the migrated QVPR, otherwise things will reach back to the other environment, which may cause issues in that QMS/QMC setup.  I just realized you may have been making reference to the actual GUID values, and I think that may have been related to a Reload Engine resource that may have gotten created when you added a new QVServer resource at some point.  I did a prior Techspert presentation on how to clean those  up, but you can simply go to the QMS exe.config file and look for the ShowReloadEngines setting and change that to True and bounce the QMS service and then go to QMC\System\Setup\QDS resource folder level and you should see both Distriubtion Services and Reload Engines and you can simply delete the Reload Engine there which will realign any of those GUIDS over to the Distribution Service resource automatically.

Q: Is there any additional cost for Evaluation license required during migration when inplace upgrade is not possible?
A: Generally this is a discussion between you and your Account Manager, but from my experience, we generally do issue evaluation keys for up to 30 days, if you require longer than that, the discussion may be a bit more entailed and they may want to get a Test License in that case that mimics the CALs you have on your Prod license.

Q: You made a copy of the original QVPR and migrated it to the new QMS server. But what happens to the original WorkOrders directory that contains task-related information?
A: The Workorders folder in ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\Workorders will be created when the QMS service is started in the new environment and the QMS generates the workorder files to push that information over to the QDS resource.  

Q: Do we need to purchase a new server license if we want to go from single server to multi node?
A: Unless your existing QVServer license/LEF already has the NUMBER_OF_CLUSTER_NODES;x;; feature in it where ‘x’ would be the total number of nodes allowed, you would need to get up with your Account Manager to get that additional node purchased and added to your license.

Q: Are there any lists or recommendations for QV migration like "Tips and tricks"?  Thanks
A: Yeah, be sure to check that Help link I referenced, but here it is again: Upgrading and migration best practices 

Q: When adding new nodes, is it recommended to keep the resources (cpu &mem) the same?
A: Very good question, and the answer is you can go either way, but if you do Unbalanced on cluster nodes, you would need to do some further configuration, here are the Help links for both QlikView Server followed by QlikView Publisher you would need to configure:
Unbalanced Clustering
Clustering the Distribution Service
If you keep the CPU and memory the same, you would not need to do the above extra configuration.

Q: How do you request new features on QMC?
A: I would point you out to the new IDEAS area on Qlik Community: Qlik Ideas

Q: What about the QDF (deployment framework) during the migration? Do you have any experience with that ? Is there a special point of view to check when migrating? Thanks
A: The QDF is basically a legacy product at this the last I checked with product management, so I do not have any further information on that unfortunately, apologies.  You may want to put up an IDEA on that using the prior question and link there…

Q: How can you manage the load balancer?
A: Not exactly sure what you mean by load balancer in this case, network load balancers would be your network team if you are talking about multiple web servers, we really do not provide much guidance on that other than ensuring the NLB timeouts are aligned with our timeouts and they ensure they configure persistence on the user sessions.  Hopefully that is what you meant.  

Q: Is there any information regarding QMS/QDS best practices and settings?
A: Here are a couple of article links to address this:
Scaling the QlikView Publisher
QlikView Management Service Publisher Related Configuration Settings for Best Practices and potentia...

Labels (1)
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2023-03-24 05:28 AM
Updated by: