Skip to main content
HollyJohnson
Employee
Employee

This past week I visited some of the inspiring educators we work with in the UK to speak to their students about Qlik.

This past week I have been happy to finally get the opportunity to travel and meet some of our educators. Our Academic Program journey started last Friday when we visited the University of Sheffield to give a hands-on workshop to 60 students studying Digital Marketing. The majority of the students had never used Qlik before but they managed to successfully follow along with the workshop run by our Principle Solution Architect, David Sedgewick. Due to a number of updates to Qlik Sense Cloud, this was a brand new workshop and the content covered everything from data loading, to the insight adviser and master measures.

HollyJohnson_0-1668013464638.jpeg

On Monday we returned to the University of Sheffield for two more sessions, this time for Supply Chain Technology in the morning and Business Intelligence in the afternoon. Our afternoon session was lead by our Solution Architect, Paul Styles, who went straight into showing the students how to get started with loading data. Throughout our Sheffield sessions, even the students who seemed unsure and asked for help, all managed to follow along and in some cases even go a step further than the workshop. 

HollyJohnson_1-1668013510511.jpeg

On Tuesday I attended the beautiful Greenland's Campus at Henley Business School to speak to Masters students studying Business Strategy. This is a course that is primarily studied online with a two day workshop element that invites guest presenters to speak to students about strategy and data in the work place. Our Qlik session gave students the opportunity to see all the theory they had learnt in the context of real life uses cases and an analytics tool. 

From Henley I then got the train to Birmingham to speak to a class of students being taught by one of our very own Academic Program Educator Ambassadors, Nassir Ibrahim, at Birmingham City University. Nassir's students are in Semester 1 of their final year studying Business Intelligence, and they have spent the past 8 weeks building dashboards in Qlik Sense using data sets related to a car manufacturer. Two of the students proudly gave me tours of their dashboards and showed me how they added additional data and used Qlik Sense to answer business questions set by Nassir. 

Throughout these university visits I have been amazed by how committed these groups of students are when it comes to expanding their skills and making themselves more employable. It's also been great to meet the passionate educators who care so much about the future of their students. If you would like to learn more about how you can support your students in getting the skills they need to succeed in the data driven world, follow this link to learn about our Academic Program - qlik.com/academicprogram.

Alternatively, if you are already an educator using our program why don't you apply to be an Educator Ambassador for 2023? Read this blog to learn more.