Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vtatarnikov
Creator
Creator

ETL task aborted - Unexpected Primary Key violations detected

Greetings.

I have two tables in DWH - a directory and a fact table with one business key referencing the directory.

vtatarnikov_0-1634816314195.png

Accordingly, there are two mappings - for filling the directory and the fact table.

Why am I getting this error when running mappings?

vtatarnikov_1-1634816456161.png

I tried to form the directory from the fact table, the result is the same.

Even if we assume that the business key in the fact table refers to a missing key in the reference, then the loading task should be completed.

What's the matter here?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Correct - I misunderstood (and thought the account table load was failing).   In a Compose model, each table needs to have a business  / natural key defined.  This can be simple or a composite key. 

Compose uses this key to determine if the incoming data is new or a change (and then processes the data according to the model characteristics - Type1 / Type2 attributes).    

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jtompkins
Creator
Creator

Do you have the Handle Duplicates checkbox selected?

TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Compose will automatically detect if there are duplicate KEYS (aka the business key defined in the model) within the data set that it is processing.   

During a FULL LOAD - we do not expect to get duplicate business keys. 

During CDC processing, we may get duplicates (multiple updates to a single source record) - and thus you should enable "Handle Duplicates" for CDC processing. 

YOu could enable (as @jtompkins  suggests) "Handle Duplicates" for the "ACCOUNT" table load.  Note that when you do this, Compose will pick 1 record to load the target for each business key.

My initial question (looking at the model diagram) - do you have the "TRADING" source table actually mapped to the "ACCOUNT" entity?   (Is this a degenerative process where you want to select a DISTINCT set of values from "TRADING" to populate the "ACCOUNT" table?   

Do you not have a true source for "ACCOUNT" ? 

If the "TRADING" table has multiple values for the attributes in ACCOUNT - do you care which one is selected by de-duplication ? 

vtatarnikov
Creator
Creator
Author

The ID account is not unique in the fact table, however it is the only business key in the fact table.

Does the fact table need to have a key that uniquely identifies each row?

If so, then this is the case. So I have to create a composite key from several keys.

Right?

TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

Correct - I misunderstood (and thought the account table load was failing).   In a Compose model, each table needs to have a business  / natural key defined.  This can be simple or a composite key. 

Compose uses this key to determine if the incoming data is new or a change (and then processes the data according to the model characteristics - Type1 / Type2 attributes).    

vtatarnikov
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks it works