Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Add the Geographical Dimension to your Business Data

1-9-2017 12-25-48 PM.png

Hello Qlik Community! I know most of you never sleep, but some of us took some mu
ch needed time off. I welcome you back from your much deserved holiday and I wish you all a prosperous new year. Now, let's get back to work!

We are looking forward to a fantastic year @Qlik, and the greatness has already started to roll in. On January 4th we announced the acquisition of Idevio, a provider of geographical-related software and services, and a valued Sweden-based Qlik partner. This acquisition not only extends Qlik’s current mapping capabilities, but also moves its offerings beyond visualization with support for a broader range of advanced geoanalytic use cases. Users can now easily add maps to their apps with automatic geo-data lookup to reveal spatial information and then overlay it with different visualizations. You can drill down into information dense maps that contain millions of points, and with a local or cloud-based service, analyze geo-data in combination with non-geo data for use cases such as determining potential store locations, understanding customer distribution of sales by zip code, or calculating supply chain delivery times. IdevioMaps, which includes Idevio GeoAnalytics for QlikView and Qlik Sense, has been re-branded as Qlik GeoAnalytics and is available immediately in its current offering, with tighter integration in Qlik Sense planned for the second half of 2017. You can learn more about what Qlik GeoAnalytics has to offer in this brief introductory video.

Come visit the new Qlik GeoAnalytics Community to post your questions and join the conversation about Qlik GeoAnalytics.

My 2¢

I am very excited about this capability as part of the Qlik product portfolio. When I joined Qlik in 2012, I was always curious as to why there weren't any mapping visualizations with QlikView. Naturally, with Qlik's disruption to the traditional BI vendors, you would think we would have some sort of maps! Hey, everyone was doing it, why not Qlik? (I was so envious of those pretty maps!) I eventually realized that Qlik knew geospatial analytics required more than just dots on a map and was waiting for consumerization to catch up to mapping. But by the time that happened we were neck deep in developing our next generation data visualization platform "QlikView.Next" which lovingly became Qlik Sense. So that really kept us from bringing the strategic focus to bear that we needed to to build out our own mapping capabilities organically.  (As some of you may recall, this gap was filled in QlikView with a technique that utilized a scatter plot with a Google Maps background.) At that time, our valuable partner network recognized this as an great opportunity and stepped in with a variety of mapping solutions and extensions designed for varying needs. Idevio maps was one of those partners. Just like many companies, Qilk invests in its existing resources where it can excel quickly and provide immediate value to its customers. As time allows, it will continue to grow its expert family and capabilities through acquisitions that will enhance that value to its customers. We have seen this with the acquisition of Expressor (data governance, data management), NComVA (advanced visualizations)  Vizubi / NPrinting (creation, schedule, distribution of operational reports) and now Idevio. Hmmmm, I wonder what's next? Looking forward to a prosperous 2017. Stay well my friends!

Tell me what do you think. Leave your comments below.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo

Follow me: https://twitter.com/mtarallo

Qlik

16 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike

Thanks for the update,

1. Is it free to download & use for Enterprise server license users?

2. How can we download & use this ?

Best Regards

Aman Goel

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Aman - Your welcome - I will have someone reply to your inquiry. Have a great day.

0 Likes
Not applicable

@Michael, thanks, great article!

@Aman,

1. Qlik Analytics is an add-on product, contact your local Qlik sales rep, it's available today.

2. Qlik GeoAnalytics is during the first phase still being distributed by www.idevio.com.

Thanks,

Patric Nordström

Idevio and Qlik

Not applicable

Thanks Michael, great introduction ! New opportunities. Looking forward to see and try all functionalities of GeoAnalytics

br Mika

uzername
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks Michael, some of Idevio examples are complex. The intro video above clarifies main points to get started quickly.

Mario

chatrapathyv
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hoping Idevio gets fully embedded into Qlik Sense and not end up like nPrinting which is hardly integrated into Qlik platform

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Chatrapathy,

I have been informed that Qlik GeoAnalytics will be integrated as part of Qlik Sense, but will remain an extension add-on for QlikView.

In regards to NPrinting if you would like to direct message me your concerns, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
chatrapathyv
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hello Michael

Thank you. We have number of concerns on nPrinting integration and would be happy to send you those. Can you please let me know how I can send a private message? your email is shown as private and I have followed you on your profile but it says "Awaiting Approval"

Thanks

Chat

0 Likes
ChristofSchwarz
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Michael. And please don't forget to put Idedvio over short or mid term into the Qlik Cloud offering as well.

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Chatrapathy - I will have a communication to you shortly, from myself or a Qlik Rep

0 Likes