Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee
Spoiler
New version here: Qlik Sense Search Cheat Sheet 

Over the last months hic and jmc have covered in this blog some of the main aspects behind Qlik (QlikView and Qlik Sense) Search capabilities.

Today’s blog post is a short one to share with you a Cheat Sheet I've created with some basic functions and modifiers that users can apply to improve a search within Qlik Sense. Because different places (Assets panel, Dimension and measure selectors) offers different capabilities it's important to notice that this quick reference is intended to searches performed in Filter panels, Tables or Selection items only.

search_miniature.PNG

Find here a print-ready copy of the Qlik Sense Search Cheat Sheet containing all search modifiers available for Qlik Sense.

UPDATES:

New version here: Qlik Sense Search Cheat Sheet 

v1.3 "() String Number Search" added.

v1.2 "- Modifier Search" included.

v1.1 Date search included.

16 Comments
Not applicable

Great post.

Date search expression could be added to the sheet in my opinion >=2015-01-01<2015-02-01

ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the idea, I will try to make room for it under expression search because it's a numeric comparison at the end. But it can be useful to have an example.

0 Likes
ian_wilson
Former Employee
Former Employee

would be helpful to include a note about what the hyphen does.  some of our customers can be confused by this, treating it is a normal string character when in fact it does negation.

Still, thank you for this!  It will be very helpful!

ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

That's interesting. It's true that when starting a string with a hyphen it subtracts the string from the search results. I will update the document to include an example, most likely I will add it to the "+ Modifier Search" section.

Thanks!

Not applicable

The hyphen is a 'negate' character only if it is at the beginning of the string or not put between wildcards. For example, *-* will find any string that contains a hyphen. There is a possible "bug" where that search string also finds strings that contain an apostrophe (ie Pete's) as well which is being looked into.

richbyard
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nice summary... However I'm not sure the quote search works exactly as you state as I've been testing something in QlikView and the same appears to follow for Qlik Sense... The quotes still bring back values that begin with that string. See screenshots below. If you have any suggestions on other syntax that allow the direct selection through the text search then please let me know as I've tried most options now.

CaptureQS.JPG

Thanks

Richard

0 Likes
richbyard
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have had a response to my question on a QlikView post... round brackets seem to do the trick and select only that exact string. Thank you swuehl

'(1)'    or    '(1) (10)'

CAPTURE(1).jpg

ArturoMuñoz
Employee
Employee

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. The "quotes search" will help you to keep spaces in search strings by treating it as a single string, please notice the different results in the example when searching ABC solutions and "ABC solutions".

When searching numbers as in your example we have some more options. I didn't know the round brackets search modifier and it's pretty neat, thanks for sharing. I will investigate it further to evaluate how could I include it in the cheat sheet.

Not applicable

HI Arturo,

How do we do a "invert search", meaning that we can search within all items NOT currently selected?

0 Likes
rbecher
MVP
MVP

(1) (13) seems to be two list searches and should be similar to (1|13)

List Search should be added to this Cheat Sheet!